Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

Even if TT 2020 is cancelled because of Coronavirus I predict record TT attendance figures.

This is because DfE has been working on the 2020 figures since July last and it's too close to the event now to change them.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

If it's cancelled and there is economic damage then it shows the TT is too much of a golden egg and the Island's visitor economy is in desperate need of diversification away from one single event. We rely too much on hairy arsed bikers for a few weeks of the year and need to find alternative visitors. Should have learned the lessons from Foot and Mouth in 2001. 

The truth is it wouldn't be the end of the world for the Isle of Man, despite what the Motorsport crowd tell us. It would be a little short term pain. A few companies would lose out being able to sell t-shirts and other tat. That would be about it. 

its the only 2 weeks the island is alive before shutting down for the long winter.......

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Cancelling the TT may not prevent those who have booked coming here anyway. Travel insurance may not pay out unless there is a ban on travel so a cancellation may be pointless. 

As they did in 2001.

Although a picture of Quayle, Skelly and Longworth at ports of departure may dissuade a few more.

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

As they did in 2001.

Although a picture of Quayle, Skelly and Longworth at ports of departure may dissuade a few more.

...and while the rest of the world struggles with coronavirus...Skelly continues his battle with Foot-in-mouth!

It appears that the Coronavirus pandemic will develop quite quickly over the next few weeks as the containment phase, such as it was, is now over. Waiting for a month  will give a clearer picture. It is unlikely that the IOM Government or DfE will have to shoulder the burden of making a decision as advice from WHO and the UK Government will likely determine what has to be done. I suspect IOM Government will prefer it that way. Personally, if I had to commit expenditure on the TT going ahead now, I would elect to keep the money in my account.

Human coronavirus, more commonly known as the common cold, is a fact of life. It comes in many strains. 19 is a bad one, but by no means the worst. I have it from a very reliable source that this is being used as an excuse to crash world stock markets. Object achieved, although I suspect another 1000 points off the FTSE. I expect coronavirus to disappear in a few weeks, 

just like the Australian bush fires and the current flooding in the uk. 

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Human coronavirus, more commonly known as the common cold, is a fact of life. It comes in many strains. 19 is a bad one, but by no means the worst. I have it from a very reliable source that this is being used as an excuse to crash world stock markets. Object achieved, although I suspect another 1000 points off the FTSE. I expect coronavirus to disappear in a few weeks, 

just like the Australian bush fires and the current flooding in the uk. 

Seemingly not.  COVID-19 is a new kid on the block, not a variation of things gone before.

Just saw on Sky news, currently, there are just over 89k cases. 45k recoveries, 3k deaths. Last week, the number of cases went from a few thousand to 80k in a few days. So it is already peaking. It will be over in a few.weeks. 

Rog, no. Not a new variant, just an uncommon one. 

41 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Last time it was cancelled in 2001, the decision was made late April. So my guess would be they'll leave it another month or so before making a decision, unless the UK moves on large scale public events earlier.

What’s the point in cancelling it. The people will still come here like they did with foot and mouth. The only way to stop it is to stop all travel.

Archived