Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

48 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Knock-knock - there's a shortage of doctors.

Nothing to do with it. You only test people who need testing - there are set criteria. If everyone with a runny nose gets tested (and swabs have to be sent to the uk) the labs would get overwhelmed - I imagine the test is a PCR, which is a little more involved and time consuming than say a urine dipstick. 

In my view if cases pick up in the UK then TT would be cancelled. Not to prevent spread of the virus necessarily, but because ITU beds all over the place will be rammed, with no capacity to look after the dozen or so smashed up bikers we produce each year. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between Corona Virus and Fly Maybe going under , the travel situation this year is going to create one of the most poorly attended TT in living memory.

At which point I fully expect various ministers (most likely Messrs Allinson & Skelly) to start piping out press releases about "Nothing to see here" whilst hotels on island end up shutting up shop and selling to Dandara for their next block of overpriced flats with fat management contracts.

6 minutes ago, Flubbergump said:

Between Corona Virus and Fly Maybe going under , the travel situation this year is going to create one of the most poorly attended TT in living memory.

I don't know.  68% of TT visitors come by sea and most of them will have already paid for their travel and possibly accommodation.  So they may still want to come unless things get really desperate or the Races are cancelled.  The same will apply to a lot of easyJet air bookings and most Flybe customers may already be applying for their money back, hoping to re-book.  It will probably be down a bit, but most attendees will have booked by now and if it goes ahead, some of the loss now may be countered by last minute bookings if the panic passes. Even when TT was cancelled due to F&M I think about 20-25% of people still came and that was with refunds being offered.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't know.  68% of TT visitors come by sea and most of them will have already paid for their travel and possibly accommodation.  So they may still want to come unless things get really desperate or the Races are cancelled.  The same will apply to a lot of easyJet air bookings and most Flybe customers may already be applying for their money back, hoping to re-book.  It will probably be down a bit, but most attendees will have booked by now and if it goes ahead, some of the loss now may be countered by last minute bookings if the panic passes. Even when TT was cancelled due to F&M I think about 20-25% of people still came and that was with refunds being offered.

Youre operating on the assumption of international visitors still wanting to travel, and the current restrictions on travel being lifted.

If you're bringing your bike from Italy , Germany , Etc etc, you're being advised not to travel to large gatherings. 

The media frenzy has magnified this resulting in political overreaction everywhere. Its going to take some time for cooler heads to prevail and normal service to be resumed, and transport services to return to capacity

I notice SPC announced today they'll be opening up ticket sales for additional sailings this year. I wonder how many cancellations they've had and whether they'll acknowledge that given that whilst they're government owned they're still an arms length company.

I'm still worried about this lack of anonymous testing...especially if it were to hit one or two of our nursing homes/sheltered accom areas.

Piss poor response/preparation in my view. I'm now expecting a sudden spike to hit us by next month. That's when Nobles will fall over...big style.

It's the nature of an epidemic.

3 hours ago, Flubbergump said:

hotels on island end up shutting up shop and selling to Dandara for their next block of overpriced flats with fat management contracts.

Quite a few of the remaining 'hotels' on the seafront are basically ruins. Even the once proud Sefton is looking very run down today.

Also - if flats are overpriced then they don't sell. (And beware of flats which don't have relatively high management costs - it costs lots of money to keep a building in good order).

Just now, pongo said:

Quite a few of the remaining 'hotels' on the seafront are basically ruins. Even the once proud Sefton is looking very run down today.

Also - if flats are overpriced then they don't sell. (And beware of flats which don't have relatively high management costs - it costs lots of money to keep a building in good order).

I've been house hunting nearly a year now. There are certain seafront flats in Douglas with Management Fees that would make your eyes water. 

Not to mention that is dead money on any investment. A lot of the places I've been offered seem to be investments bought when the buildings were constructed, and what little value there was in renting them has been eroded by management fees and rates. 

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I'm still worried about this lack of anonymous testing...especially if it were to hit one or two of our nursing homes/sheltered accom areas.

Piss poor response/preparation in my view. I'm now expecting a sudden spike to hit us by next month. That's when Nobles will fall over...big style.

It's the nature of an epidemic.

The criteria has to be met to test. How many old codgers have been abroard of late.?

Just now, Flubbergump said:

I've been house hunting nearly a year now. There are certain seafront flats in Douglas with Management Fees that would make your eyes water. 

Not to mention that is dead money on any investment. A lot of the places I've been offered seem to be investments bought when the buildings were constructed, and what little value there was in renting them has been eroded by management fees and rates. 

Best advice I ever got was to watch out for properties with seemingly affordable monthly or annual fees. Find out how much money they've got set aside to fix the roof or scaffold for painting.

Just now, Flubbergump said:

Yes...be careful of the small print.

Eye watering indeed.

Time to ban overseas owners. 5 yr legislation plan to get them off the books. It's one of the main reasons why we are losing 800 youngsters under 30 every year.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:
5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The criteria has to be met to test. How many old codgers have been abroard of late.?

I heard you married a broad 

I married a f*cking Angel. Almost 30 years ago. She still can't get rid of me.

edit for not realising it was before the watershed

Archived