Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

41 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Last time it was cancelled in 2001, the decision was made late April. So my guess would be they'll leave it another month or so before making a decision, unless the UK moves on large scale public events earlier.

Hope you're right Albert. But imagine that the festival goes ahead and straight after the Island has 500+ cases. How is our already overstretched NHS going to cope? Where will the most severe cases be treated? Have we the facilties to cope? What about meds and beds? 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, quilp said:

Hope you're right Albert. But imagine that the festival goes ahead and straight after the Island has 500+ cases. How is our already overstretched NHS going to cope? Where will the most severe cases be treated? Have we the facilties to cope? What about meds and beds? 

I couldn't imagine us being able to ship them off the island, the UK wouldn't want them.

41 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Just saw on Sky news, currently, there are just over 89k cases. 45k recoveries, 3k deaths. Last week, the number of cases went from a few thousand to 80k in a few days. So it is already peaking. It will be over in a few.weeks. 

Rog, no. Not a new variant, just an uncommon one. 

Yes it is a new variant. That's why it's called novel coronavirus 19. Yes there are other coronaviruses but this is a new strain. From WHO:

COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.

12 hours ago, Cambon said:

I have it from a very reliable source that this is being used as an excuse to crash world stock markets. 

Absolutely nobody serious believes this but you should probably stock up on tinfoil.

11 hours ago, quilp said:

Let us be realistic, if 1 person is diagnosed with the Covid19 virus, Noble’s will go into meltdown. It couldn’t cope, doesn’t have the facilities, is completely overstretched, that’s without mentioning TT. 

First we heard Rob Callister waffling nonsense about Coronavirus and TT and now, the other puffed-up airhead Skelly trying to make out it’s business as usual, but they were keeping an eye on it. Neither of them will have any influence on what actually happens and are at the mercy of developments and decisions taken elsewhere, as we all are. I find our politicians floundering attempts to sound competent, confident and authoritative just a little bit embarrassing. Surely, we can do better from a population of 85,000, including some who have actually achieved something in their lives? 

19 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Sadly yes it could be cancelled . Personally I think it's too early to make that decision but for sure will have to be made sometime. At the moment I'd say it's fine to go ahead as very little public diagnosed with it but that could change slowly or drastically. Next few weeks will show the likely story but if it's cancelled it will hit so many people in so many ways . Yes I know health is of upmost importance but scaremongering currently is a over reaction I feel. Hopefully in the next few weeks it will all pan out and it can go ahead . 

The strike rate of COVID-19 is higher than flu, for example. That's official (I think I read!).

Given the aged population (those who are more likely to succumb) on the Island the decision might be a matter of life and death.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Let us be realistic, if 1 person is diagnosed with the Covid19 virus, Noble’s will go into meltdown. It couldn’t cope, doesn’t have the facilities, is completely overstretched, that’s without mentioning TT. 

Especially as there isn't the White Hoe any more.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

all those folk panic buying hand sanitiser will be rubbing their hands together.........

2 hours ago, joebean said:

First we heard Rob Callister waffling nonsense about Coronavirus and TT and now, the other puffed-up airhead Skelly trying to make out it’s business as usual, but they were keeping an eye on it. Neither of them will have any influence on what actually happens and are at the mercy of developments and decisions taken elsewhere, as we all are. I find our politicians floundering attempts to sound competent, confident and authoritative just a little bit embarrassing. Surely, we can do better from a population of 85,000, including some who have actually achieved something in their lives? 

In fairness, major political figures in the UK are sounding similarly unconvincing. Remember that all they can do - whether they believe it or not - is trot out the advice they are given. At least in this case, the advice won’t be massively different from Public Health England. It’s when we try and make our own version up we are found especially wanting.

It's equally the competence of those giving the advice that frequently needs questioning too. At least a Minister can be sacked or fail to be re-elected. As opposed to those in the background and/or pulling the strings.

Archived