Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

With the cancellation of motor sporting events around the world beginning to take effect, mainly in countries affected such as Qatar and Thailand, could this years TT be affected?  It will be interesting to see the outcome of today's COBRA meeting in London.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

With the cancellation of motor sporting events around the world beginning to take effect, mainly in countries affected such as Qatar and Thailand, could this years TT be affected?  It will be interesting to see the outcome of today's COBRA meeting in London.

If the UK gov.decide to prohibit large gatherings like sports events surely they will ask the Manx government to cancel the TT, there will be large numbers of French, German, Dutch,  and Spanish TT fans travelling through to UK by road, they would surely have to do something about that too? I think the TT will have to be cancelled sooner than late

Copied from one of the other threads on this subject!

We appear to have a contagion of threads on this subject

The government need to be proactive on this and also there should be testing done now at the airport and ferry terminal, anyone that has been to Italy ,China or Iran should be tested, also anyone who feels unwell.   I know this will be met with shouts of overreaction but better safe than sorry.   Be prepared, we were told in the scouts and it was a sound message.

Sadly yes it could be cancelled . Personally I think it's too early to make that decision but for sure will have to be made sometime. At the moment I'd say it's fine to go ahead as very little public diagnosed with it but that could change slowly or drastically. Next few weeks will show the likely story but if it's cancelled it will hit so many people in so many ways . Yes I know health is of upmost importance but scaremongering currently is a over reaction I feel. Hopefully in the next few weeks it will all pan out and it can go ahead . 

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sadly yes it could be cancelled . Personally I think it's too early to make that decision but for sure will have to be made sometime. At the moment I'd say it's fine to go ahead as very little public diagnosed with it but that could change slowly or drastically. Next few weeks will show the likely story but if it's cancelled it will hit so many people in so many ways . Yes I know health is of upmost importance but scaremongering currently is a over reaction I feel. Hopefully in the next few weeks it will all pan out and it can go ahead . 

If it's cancelled and there is economic damage then it shows the TT is too much of a golden egg and the Island's visitor economy is in desperate need of diversification away from one single event. We rely too much on hairy arsed bikers for a few weeks of the year and need to find alternative visitors. Should have learned the lessons from Foot and Mouth in 2001. 

The truth is it wouldn't be the end of the world for the Isle of Man, despite what the Motorsport crowd tell us. It would be a little short term pain. A few companies would lose out being able to sell t-shirts and other tat. That would be about it. 

It shows the forum visitor economy is in desperate need of diversification away from one single event. We rely too much on TT trolls for a few weeks of the year and need to find alternative visitors. 

If it can take 14 days to get any symptons, then i don't believe the Manx or British government will be able to stop the virus spreading. Yes, they can slow the speed of it spreading, which will help hospitals, but ultimately most of use will catch it. 

Archived