IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I want to minimise risk from the virus and yes we should try to keep it out completely if we can.  I think the impact on business and mental health would be far worse if we have another outbreak than anything that will be lost by having effective restrictions.  And most of the pleas about mental health seem to boil down to "I will be upset if I don't get my way".  As @doc.fixit reminded us, those who are vulnerable will be in much worse distress if they are threatened by a deadly disease and the indifference of those who want to put them at risk.

I'm not sure that "We must be more like the country with the worst death rate in the world!" is a big selling point for most people and cases in San Marino are rocketing again:

image.png.0f257f23668780e4d72a1bf978a1688d.png

I doubt the tourists are flocking there either.  As far as Denmark goes, they seem to have very similar restrictions on entering the country as, say, Guernsey.  Where I wouldn't say that the recent cluster caused no issues at all (the problem was that the index case had not been off-Island) and in the first few days it did look quite worrying.  They used testing and tracing to nip it in the bud and it looks like they were lucky and have done so, but it wasn't guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

DF51FAD6-B818-4801-B63A-AC791543F315.thumb.jpeg.11db175955ce834129426c3b7c713627.jpeg

Just stop it, please.

Jersey have proved in recent months there is a way.

They’ve rightly tightened up recently given the second wave caused by 2.4 million students returning to city centres at the start of September but they’ll relax as soon as possible being the pro-active jurisdiction that they are.

San Marino was presented as a limit case for having (i) no border controls; (ii) huge number of people crossing their border every day in respect to population size; and (iii) hospitality industry as a main driver with few restrictions. Even in that case, they had the last death in late May and total number of deaths 42 so far; or 100-110 as an IOM equivalent, which is to be intended as an upper boundary if seen in relation to us.

We are in quite a different position as concerns geography, type of economy and social structures. In our case, it would be possible to manage an open border with proper testing and tracing, bearing some limited community spread, but with far less casualties than the limit case of San Marino. The reasons are fairly obvious. Even doing little, we are so much less exposed.

• Like 2

The bookface blew up today when someone posted that the TV licensing people came around. The post has since been deleted. Would be nice to find out if this was true. Hardly key workers. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I hate to break your heart, but I'm not going to stop pointing out facts.  Jersey are clearly developing a community outbreak at the moment and with 97 active cases. it's inevitable that some of them will eventually end up in hospital.  Some of those people will be isolating after arrival but the number identified from other sources is rising.

Six weeks ago some of us pointed to the rising figures for cases in the UK and were loftily assured that it was alright as the hospital numbers were less than 500 and deaths barely in double figures.  Now there are over 10,000 in hospitals with Covid and 492 died yesterday.  One thing predicts the other and Jersey's testing regime looks like it has failed - though they have now tightened it up.

Oh you’re not breaking my heart.

The facts are nobody has died on Jersey from COVID since they decided to reopen on the 1st July & conducted nearly 150,000 tests.

We haven’t a clue how many are running around here with the virus given we’ve only tested 16,000 since this all kicked off!

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

By your own argument that blue line will over the next few days track up, as new daily deaths that aren't actually from that day are added. Do you see?

You don’t think it’s strange that yesterday was the highest death rate for ages?  You think it’s not even remotely possible they held onto a few (bearing in mind they included some from March!!)

Largely irrelevant anyway, was just countering the scaremongering.

Test people, get some statistics, and give us a clear roadmap out of this shitstorm

• Like 4

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

You don’t think it’s strange that yesterday was the highest death rate for ages?  You think it’s not even remotely possible they held onto a few (bearing in mind they included some from March!!)

Largely irrelevant anyway, was just countering the scaremongering.

Test people, get some statistics, and give us a clear roadmap out of this shitstorm

no, I think it was inevitable. I'm sure there are plenty of fiddles going on - todays were definitely delayed so Boris wouldn't have to answer questions on them - but I'm of the mindset they are being underplayed rather than over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

no, I think it was inevitable. I'm sure there are plenty of fiddles going on - todays were definitely delayed so Boris wouldn't have to answer questions on them - but I'm of the mindset they are being underplayed rather than over.

You think they would underplay the figures pre lockdown and then have to add them on somewhere further down the line (in winter)?

OK.  I beg to differ

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

You think they would underplay the figures pre lockdown and then have to add them on somewhere further down the line (in winter)?

OK.  I beg to differ

I don't think the UK government wants a lockdown. At all. So therefore I don't think they'd purposefully skew the figures to make it look like they need one.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I don't think the UK government wants a lockdown. At all. So therefore I don't think they'd purposefully skew the figures to make it look like they need one.

In which case I must be thick as planks, because I have missed your point completely 

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

They’ve just written a cheque for £40 Billion to fund furlough through to next March. Yet they dont actually believe in any of it. 

16 minutes ago, trmpton said:

In which case I must be thick as planks, because I have missed your point completely 

My point was that your dismissal of the 492 deaths as over a period of time was a poor one and that the graph you used to back up your position actually defeats it.  

Edit - obviously looking at single day figures doesnt really tell you anything anyway.

Edited by TheTeapot

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

My point was that your dismissal of the 492 deaths as over a period of time was a poor one and that the graph you used to back up your position actually defeats it.  

Edit - obviously looking at single day figures doesnt really tell you anything anyway.

Ah ok.

The post about the figures was directly in response to @Roger Mexicoquoting the previous days figures as some sort of justification for what he was saying.

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

DF51FAD6-B818-4801-B63A-AC791543F315.thumb.jpeg.11db175955ce834129426c3b7c713627.jpeg

Just stop it, please.

Jersey have proved in recent months there is a way.

They’ve rightly tightened up recently given the second wave caused by 2.4 million students returning to city centres at the start of September but they’ll relax as soon as possible being the pro-active jurisdiction that they are.

So the none of the 10 serious/critical are in hospital?