IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

I think the term you’re looking for is “she got a right arse on”. She was clearly rattled and treated the journalist like a naughty child. I think that’s one of the best questions I’ve heard from our journalists. It’s a shame she wasn’t allowed to go the full Paxman on Hetty. 

It reminded me of Laura Kunnesberg speaking to Matt Hancock yesterday. At least Dr E gave an answer.

25 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

That's where I think it's come from too - but as always, I stand to be corrected.

Right - carrying on with the arse theme, I think I've got to the bottom of it.

The IOM are using the UK's 14 day notification rate, which is favoured by the ECDC. This is not an average, it is the total number of cases in the previous 14 days added together and expressed in terms of per 100,000 of the population. So, by way of example, if a country had a population of one million, and had 467 covid infections in total during the previous 14 days, then it's 14 day notification rate would be 46.7/100K.

3 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Right - carrying on with the arse theme, I think I've got to the bottom of it.

The IOM are using the UK's 14 day notification rate, which is favoured by the ECDC. This is not an average, it is the total number of cases in the previous 14 days added together and expressed in terms of per 100,000 of the population. So, by way of example, if a country had a population of one million, and had 467 covid infections in total during the previous 14 days, then it's 14 day notification rate would be 46.7/100K.

oh goody, so is that a good or bad system then ?

5 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

oh goody, so is that a good or bad system then ?

I'm not sure than a system being used for this purpose (border control) that relies solely on cases is as appropriate as it was before the vaccines began to have a significant impact. 

Edited by madmanxpilot

56 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I'm not sure than a system being used for this purpose (border control) that relies solely on cases is as appropriate as it was before the vaccines began to have a significant impact. 

Sounds a load of bollocks , just use the 7 day rate that ONS publish each week. Howie & co like to make everything so complex like this 7-10 day passive shit!

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Sounds a load of bollocks , just use the 7 day rate that ONS publish each week. Howie & co like to make everything so complex like this 7-10 day passive shit!

Looks like some folk have been totally losing it under lockdown restrictions. Good to see that the rules are finally being relaxed. Hopefully it will have a general calming affect amongst some of the locked down powder keg population. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=61634

Edited by Mr Roboto

18 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

Looks like some folk have been totally losing it under lockdown restrictions. Good to see that the rules are finally being relaxed. Hopefully it will have a general calming affect amongst some of the locked down powder keg population. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=61634

The advocate disputed the compensation amount saying that there had not been major repairs to the door.

He said: ’That’s an outrageous sum for a bit of painting and maintenance. If it cost that much to paint a door, we’re all in the wrong trade.’

That's quite funny from an advocate. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

The advocate disputed the compensation amount saying that there had not been major repairs to the door.

He said: ’That’s an outrageous sum for a bit of painting and maintenance. If it cost that much to paint a door, we’re all in the wrong trade.’

That's quite funny from an advocate. :D

It is quite funny from an advocate I agree. But rather worrying when people are clearly absolutely losing it like that just from being locked down. Makes some of the spats and wild accusations on this forum fade into insignificant really. When IRL people are clearly going bonkers and smashing up neighbours doors with fire extinguishers etc.

Edited by Mr Roboto

6 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Where is Quayle getting 50 per 100,000 from as the U.K. infection rate?

6B938D1A-8411-4272-9D05-1488166661E7.jpeg

I think they have some secret database that churns out what they want to report. Ireland's rate is higher but within the defined parameters but still subject to the same controls as India. They have to start treating us as adults not imbeciles.

49 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

It is quite funny from an advocate I agree. But rather worrying when people are clearly absolutely losing it like that just from being locked down. Makes some of the spats and wild accusations on this forum fade into insignificant really. When IRL people are clearly going bonkers and smashing up neighbours doors with fire extinguishers etc.

There is absolutely evidence he has "lost it" because of lockdown.  Jesus wept:rolleyes:

The 14 day total per 100,000 is a total, not an average. At least that’s how I interpret it.

It seems to be a standard international way of calculating infection levels for the setting and measuring traffic light systems.

So it’s not an average. To get the 14 day figure you add the figures for the two preceding 7 day periods together.

Because it’s over 14 days it’s not subject to wild variations caused by one day of high or low figures. An average would have the same result of a measurable figure, albeit the figure would be different.

I don’t think it matters. It should be standardised so they are comparable. And it should be readily accessible.

My understanding is that the figures are 5 days “out of date”, so today’s 14 day figure will be the total per 100,000 of positive cases tested between 11 and 25 April. That ensures all cases are reported and recorded and by using test date, rather than report date, you strip out anomalies caused by late reporting.

I got yesterday’s UK 14 figure as +/- 48