IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Disagree about average pay, it’s certainly well above average for majority of public sector, excluding education & health  based on their abilities & what they could earn elsewhere, also prospects are very good for anyone with ability .

Also we’re paying for all this well above norm sickness absence whilst telling self employed etc to just live with it!!

Many in the IOM Public Sector would be unemployable in the private sector. They couldn't handle the pressure or standards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Many in the IOM Public Sector would be unemployable in the private sector. They couldn't handle the pressure or standards.

Would be the view of someone who didn't know better. I'd agree if you said some. 

In all walks of life there are good people and bad people. Bad people are shameless and will exploit the system. In my experience they are equally distributed. Yes, it's easier in the public sector. But I think the proportions are the same. 

Even in the public sector I can say that most people are genuine and honest .

29 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Would be the view of someone who didn't know better. I'd agree if you said some. 

In all walks of life there are good people and bad people. Bad people are shameless and will exploit the system. In my experience they are equally distributed. Yes, it's easier in the public sector. But I think the proportions are the same. 

Even in the public sector I can say that most people are genuine and honest .

The lower echelons of the public sector are fine. As you say they're honest, hard working and take pride in their work. Too many of them get downtrodden over time due to being failed by management and higher ups. 

But I'm talking from experience of having been in a recruitment role on island. Some of the applicants listing Isle of Man Government as their employer were truly shocking. 

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The lower echelons of the public sector are fine. As you say they're honest, hard working and take pride in their work. Too many of them get downtrodden over time due to being failed by management and higher ups. 

But I'm talking from experience of having been in a recruitment role on island. Some of the applicants listing Isle of Man Government as their employer were truly shocking. 

I don't disagree with that. The very most talented people in the world don't work in the public sector. They want to make serious money and you will never be rich working for IOM gov that's for sure. Comfortable at best. However in my experience there are still some pretty dedicated and committed individuals. 

We have gone a bit off the topic though. What we were saying is that some public sectors workers, at all level, take advantage of the system. What I was saying was, in my experience, that is not unique to public sector workers and that there is plenty of dead wood in the private sector too. This is more so in bigger organisations where they can hide away. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

We have gone a bit off the topic though. What we were saying is that some public sectors workers, at all level, take advantage of the system. What I was saying was, in my experience, that is not unique to public sector workers and that there is plenty of dead wood in the private sector too. This is more so in bigger organisations where they can hide away. 

The main difference is though in private sector there unlikely to make there way up the ladder while in public sector there seems almost a given that you get moved up the ladder based on time there rather than ability.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

There their they're 

Point taken , sadly my education was curtailed by epilepsy. It's very sad though that you should feel the need to comment as you have done . You know what I was saying. There but by the grace of god go I . 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, Happier diner said:

you will never be rich working for IOM gov that's for sure. Comfortable at best.

Is that a serious comment? Tell that to Longworth, Black, Reynolds, Spake and the countless others who got paid and also managed to derive other income well above their basic competency threshold just by working for IOM government. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Is that a serious comment? Tell that to Longworth, Black, Reynolds, Spake and the countless others who got paid and also managed to derive other income well above their basic competency threshold just by working for IOM government. 

Depends on your definition of rich I suppose. Also that's 3 out of thousands. Most just earn a living. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

Depends on your definition of rich I suppose. Also that's 3 out of thousands. Most just earn a living. 

Sorry but that’s nonsense. Even on an average wage basis those in the public sector still earn more proportionately than those risking it in the private sector. It’s supported year after year in the annual salary report.