"99" Vigilantes slash Mr Whippy's Wheels in Peel

Manx Bean

16 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I grow tired of pointing that out to people that some places chose to close 

That’s rich when they were fining people for making “non essential” journeys. No point in keeping your shop open when you have no customers as people are only allowed out of their houses for a hours exercise a day for weeks on end and the police are threatening to arrest anyone trying to drive to your shop as it sells allegedly non essential goods. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Grayson said:

That’s rich when they were fining people for making “non essential” journeys. No point in keeping your shop open when you have no customers as the police are threatening to arrest anyone trying to drive to your shop as it sells allegedly non essential goods. 

I think you might have misunderstood the point I was making in the context of the discussion

6 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I think you might have misunderstood the point I was making in the context of the discussion

I don’t think I have. You can argue they didn’t have to close. But when customers are legally prevented from going to your shop by draconian emergency restrictions on peoples movements why would anyone volunteer to incur the cost of staying open to man an empty shop?  

8 minutes ago, Grayson said:

I don’t think I have. You can argue they didn’t have to close. But when customers are legally prevented from going to your shop by draconian emergency restrictions on peoples movements why would anyone volunteer to incur the cost of staying open to man an empty shop?  

It's probably my shortened message

I don't have a view on them choosing to close, I was saying that when they choose to re-open a lot of people get angry about them opening up and I have to point out that they could have been open the whole time - there's no government legislation stopping them so let them open if they can

The other aspects you raise are your opinion and I have no view on that

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

The other aspects you raise are your opinion and I have no view on that

It’s only my opinion that when your are legally prevented from going to your own shop by emergency laws, and customers are legally prevented from going to your shop by the same emergency laws that you could opt to keep it open just because legally nobody has specifically told you to close your shop but they have through emergency movement restrictions stopped you and everyone else from visiting it and purchasing anything? 

1 minute ago, Grayson said:

It’s only my opinion that when your are legally prevented from going to your own shop by emergency laws, and customers are legally prevented from going to your shop by the same emergency laws that you could opt to keep it open just because legally nobody has specifically told you to close your shop but they have through emergency movement restrictions stopped you and everyone else from visiting it and purchasing anything? 

Yes

28 minutes ago, Grayson said:

When you get back to school, ask your English teacher about punctuation.

8 hours ago, Grayson said:

Are you scriptwriting for Wrighty?

13 hours ago, Grayson said:

I don't think anyone is legally prevented from going to their own shop, unless for some other reason such as being quarantined.  Even if the premises were closed, going to check up on them reasonably often would be deemed essential and so legal.  Retail premises are explicitly closed unless they are on the list of those allowed to remain open (this does not apply to most other sorts of businesses), but takeaway food premises were always allowed to open and that includes ice cream.  And if a shop is allowed to open then those working there are allowed to travel to work there. 

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think anyone is legally prevented from going to their own shop, unless for some other reason such as being quarantined.  Even if the premises were closed, going to check up on them reasonably often would be deemed essential and so legal.  Retail premises are explicitly closed unless they are on the list of those allowed to remain open (this does not apply to most other sorts of businesses), but takeaway food premises were always allowed to open and that includes ice cream.  And if a shop is allowed to open then those working there are allowed to travel to work there. 

but were customers allowed to go there too ?  i don't consider ice cream an essential food stuff.  now that non essential travel is allegedly allowed for leisure activities i can see why the non essential ice cream supplier has opened up again,  i don't see why the non essential McD's can't now open for drive through  either.

33 minutes ago, WTF said:

but were customers allowed to go there too ?  i don't consider ice cream an essential food stuff.  now that non essential travel is allegedly allowed for leisure activities i can see why the non essential ice cream supplier has opened up again,  i don't see why the non essential McD's can't now open for drive through  either.

Not saying I agree with this per se but in the interests of discussion...

The legislation simply states food and drink so they haven't legislated a difference or quantified what is essential food and drink 

There could be an argument to say going for an ice cream is not essential travel but that would be going beyond what the legislation says

And whilst it seems a logical step to start quantifying that (aside from the urgency of the lockdown legislation requirements) I think that would be like opening pandoras box for government overstepping control on peoples dietary choices

Food for thought anyways (pun intended)

1 hour ago, WTF said:

But McD's could have been opened for  takeaway if it wanted to - indeed it was I think for a few days.  I presume they found they didn't get enough custom or there were supply chain problems.  Davisons didn't open because they thought they wouldn't get enough custom when people thought they were only restricted to one short time outside each day.  Now people think that has been relaxed, they may decide otherwise and with Summer approaching it is worth Davisons' while to reopen for takeaway (which will be most of their custom anyway).

Incidentally it's fairly typical of the mindset involved that they attacked a delivery van, when that side of the business (supplying supermarkets and others) has continued uncontroversially throughout.

Archived