Er, can we have 250 million quid, please?

GD4XXX

I really don't think the UK would want us in any case, I don't think they "have" to take over unless law and order broke down? Without the benefit of EU funding we would be very much worse off. As for following the UK on practices, we have to or businesses over here would become uninsurable - Think health and safety rules for just one thing.

We could do a lot better at tourism if we ditched the TT etc. The type of holiday we are selling, country walks, heritage etc attracts people that HATE motorcycles. As long as we are associated with them the hotels will be empty most of the year.  I say that as an ex biker that knows how much the rambling types hate motor bikes having had a few run ins on the tracks with walkers and horse riders - we were worse than scum to them.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I really don't think the UK would want us in any case, I don't think they "have" to take over unless law and order broke down? Without the benefit of EU funding we would be very much worse off. As for following the UK on practices, we have to or businesses over here would become uninsurable - Think health and safety rules for just one thing.

We could do a lot better at tourism if we ditched the TT etc. The type of holiday we are selling, country walks, heritage etc attracts people that HATE motorcycles. As long as we are associated with them the hotels will be empty most of the year.  I say that as an ex biker that knows how much the rambling types hate motor bikes having had a few run ins on the tracks with walkers and horse riders - we were worse than scum to them.

if we lose the bikes the walkers won't be paying racket prices to get here when there are plenty of walking destinations without the travel costs.

20 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

What EU funding?

ECB is now paying EU member countries to take their money it seems

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

....we'd have little to no chance of changing or challenging any major decision that affects the Island that we happen to disagree with.

No change there then, either external decision or internal :lol:

If we lose the bikes then the Island could manage on a smaller boat (no expensive, too large, fuel-guzzling fast craft), if a Ben type then no need to bring in Arrow as would provide mutual back up for essential freight .

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

We could do a lot better at tourism if we ditched the TT etc.

Of course we couldn't.It's only of very limited interest to short stay codgers mostly,or the odd rambler The place is seen as an old fashioned backwater with a high chance of dodgy weather  that isn't worth paying the money to see,even most of the motorcycle community in England doesn't bother with this place. The price getting here not being the major issue,it's the fact it isn't a mass start and for most that sounds boring.

4 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Do you have any credible back up for that load of crap

18 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

That was my poorly made point. If it's an aerial photograph how do they know how many floors to calculate the floor area? They can calculate the ground area but I would suggest not the total useable residential floor area?

The scans are 3D these days. Very impressive stuff

On 4/30/2020 at 6:00 PM, Boris Johnson said:

The motorcycle intrerest,is 4 weeks max,even when the Southern100 is on ,the rest of the island wouldnt know ,it has put the island on the map worldwide for more than 110 years.When ramblers/train spotters/half pint shandy after my walk up to Bradda head types,can bring the numbers to equal say 78 tt or 2007 tt ,then yes i agree.

2 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

The motorcycle intrerest,is 4 weeks max,even when the Southern100 is on ,the rest of the island wouldnt know ,it has put the island on the map worldwide for more than 110 years.When ramblers/train spotters/half pint shandy after my walk up to Bradda head types,can bring the numbers to equal say 78 tt or 2007 tt ,then yes i agree.

They don't even bring the tourist figures up to a single village in the dales

10 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

8 hours ago, PaulJ said:

They don't even bring the tourist figures up to a single village in the dales

We kid ourselves about the “TT Factor”. The majority of the world neither know nor care about it.also surprising are the number of people you come across that still have no idea we exist, let alone where we are.

TT is great, but it really is a red herring which likely gets in the way of meaningful development of other income streams

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We kid ourselves about the “TT Factor”. The majority of the world neither know nor care about it.also surprising are the number of people you come across that still have no idea we exist, let alone where we are.

TT is great, but it really is a red herring which likely gets in the way of meaningful development of other income streams

How so Derek. Surely if an income stream was there to be developed then it would be.

Archived