IOM Passport question

So, I'm fairly new here, and bear with me if I'm not a pro at this.  Anyway, about the IOM passport question – if the photo page says 'British Citizen' for someone born in IOM, the 'Nationality' box should still indicate 'Isle of Man.' 🇮🇲 That's what I've gathered, but hey, always good to double-check.

17 minutes ago, AveriMurilo said:

So, I'm fairly new here, and bear with me if I'm not a pro at this.  Anyway, about the IOM passport question – if the photo page says 'British Citizen' for someone born in IOM, the 'Nationality' box should still indicate 'Isle of Man.' 🇮🇲 That's what I've gathered, but hey, always good to double-check.

No, because in international law there is no such thing as Manx Nationality.

• Like 1

Just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd chime in. So, I'm fairly new to this forum, but I've got a bit of a story that might help. My friend recently got an IOM passport, and guess what? On the photograph page, it indeed says 'British Citizen.' Now, regarding the 'Nationality' box for an IOM born person, it seems to stay the same – 'British Citizen.' A handy tool I found in this whole passport adventure is the Prime ID Scanner from ID Analyzer. It's been a game-changer for ensuring everything's in order. You might want to check it out here https://www.idanalyzer.com/products/prime-id-scanner.html. Has anyone else here tried it or have insights on the IOM passport situation? Curious to hear your experiences!

Edited by KayleeAdams

If it says 'British Citizen', the discussion ends there. John is correct, there is no such nationality as 'manx'. Painful, I know. 

Furthermore, when you travel to foreign lands, on the landing card it will ask what country you live in. You might be a manx-as-the-hills yessir, who's never left the Island before,  but you have to write 'UK' for that. 

• 2 months later...

If you are UK born or have UK born parentage back to Granny I think then yes ( ie England , Scotland , Wales or NI ). I don’t  know what the rules are for born and bred Manxies. But I would imagine they have the right to a UK issue passport as well. I did it despite being Manx resident so got myself a UK issued passport without the IOM bit on it. Not that it matters much we’ve left the EU. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anyone said:

If you are UK born or have UK born parentage back to Granny I think then yes ( ie England , Scotland , Wales or NI ). I don’t  know what the rules are for born and bred Manxies. But I would imagine they have the right to a UK issue passport as well. I did it despite being Manx resident so got myself a UK issued passport without the IOM bit on it. Not that it matters much we’ve left the EU. 

Thank you for your input. It’s for my husband who is British but not born in GB. Has held a Manx passport for decades. It would be easier to renew in uk, although not resident there. Bit complex. Did you have claim to uk connection? 

On 3/18/2024 at 5:23 AM, boswellian said:

Thank you for your input. It’s for my husband who is British but not born in GB. Has held a Manx passport for decades. It would be easier to renew in uk, although not resident there. Bit complex. Did you have claim to uk connection? 

Well I was born and bred in the UK ( I’m not Manx ) and although I was a resident of the Isle of Man I went to the passport office in Glasgow and got a UK issued passport , not a Manx one. That was a while ago but I’m not sure it makes much difference these days whether you have a UK or Manx issued one. I did have at that time a UK address as well as a Manx one ( second home) but did not tell them about the Manx address. Unless you have a compelling reason for a UK issued passport I don’t think a Manx issued would be a problem.

On 3/18/2024 at 9:23 AM, boswellian said:

Can apply online   to the UK and get it from the UK . These days you don't even need a UK address and the UK passport authority (HMPO)  will send it to your IOM address . The entire process is online if it's a renewal.

The older process of someone verifying your identity on the paper  application  ( if needed ) is also online .. You give their details and they get an email..

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

In the section where it asks Whether you live in the UK select Yes 

Also for the passport photo you can get it done at a studio and get a digital photo with a code  ( Morrison photo in douglas know what to do )

You can enter the code given by the studio in the online application. This links your photo with the online application. 

I know many people who have done this recently. Some countries create issues with IOM issued British passports when you apply for e visa etc . So easier to have a British passport issued from the UK..

Edited by mad_manx
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Can apply online   to the UK and get it from the UK . These days you don't even need a UK address and the UK passport authority (HMPO)  will send it to your IOM address . The entire process is online if it's a renewal.

The older process of someone verifying your identity on the paper  application  ( if needed ) is also online .. You give their details and they get an email..

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

In the section where it asks Whether you live in the UK select Yes 

Also for the passport photo you can get it done at a studio and get a digital photo with a code  ( Morrison photo in douglas know what to do )

You can enter the code given by the studio in the online application. This links your photo with the online application. 

I know many people who have done this recently. Some countries create issues with IOM issued British passports when you apply for e visa etc . So easier to have a British passport issued from the UK..

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, I did check it out online but the uk bit seemed to rule it out. Yes, a Manx passport could cause issues too. Really helpful. 

On 3/20/2024 at 3:00 AM, Anyone said:

Well I was born and bred in the UK ( I’m not Manx ) and although I was a resident of the Isle of Man I went to the passport office in Glasgow and got a UK issued passport , not a Manx one. That was a while ago but I’m not sure it makes much difference these days whether you have a UK or Manx issued one. I did have at that time a UK address as well as a Manx one ( second home) but did not tell them about the Manx address. Unless you have a compelling reason for a UK issued passport I don’t think a Manx issued would be a problem.

Looking for a quickie solution as Iom passports take a long time these days. Thank you . Without EU restrictions I can’t really see there being a difference between the two these days.

8 hours ago, boswellian said:

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, I did check it out online but the uk bit seemed to rule it out. Yes, a Manx passport could cause issues too. Really helpful. 

Let us know how you get on..

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 10:07 AM, AveriMurilo said:

On 12/18/2023 at 10:24 AM, John Wright said:

No, because in international law there is no such thing as Manx Nationality.

I am not going to argue with John here, however, I would say be careful when completing information for flights etc.  Whilst Manx Nationality may not exist there are a number of companies that will let you select "Isle of Man" as your nationality when booking.  If your passport then says British Citizen you may find yourself having to clarify when you travel which could delay you.  

This is at check in desks rather than at Passport Control but do bear in mind that any immigration documents may be checked for discrepancies and that may cause issues.

On 3/25/2024 at 11:37 AM, manxman1980 said:

I am not going to argue with John here, however, I would say be careful when completing information for flights etc.  Whilst Manx Nationality may not exist there are a number of companies that will let you select "Isle of Man" as your nationality when booking.  If your passport then says British Citizen you may find yourself having to clarify when you travel which could delay you.  

This is at check in desks rather than at Passport Control but do bear in mind that any immigration documents may be checked for discrepancies and that may cause issues.

I always select United Kingdom even though I have an Isle of Man variant British passport .

The timatic system that most airline check in agents use do not have Isle of Man listed .  Have not had any issues yet for travel at airports. ( have been to 50 odd countries) 

What I have had an issue is when I have tried to apply for e-visa . Some countries reject your application if you apply with an Isle of man variant .

While the Isle of man variant looks different it still scans as a  proper British passport.