Black Lives Matter

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Yes, it is supposed to refer to a middle aged, overweight, white male who has a tendency to flush with rage. 

Only one of those components has anything to do with race. I'd also argue its more specific than that, because it targets those with particular views. There's also an interesting hypocrisy in that a lot of the people who believe gammon is a racial slur don't believe stuff like "chinky" is a racial slur. 

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Only one of those components has anything to do with race. I'd also argue its more specific than that, because it targets those with particular views. There's also an interesting hypocrisy in that a lot of the people who believe gammon is a racial slur don't believe stuff like "chinky" is a racial slur. 

OK. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yes, it is supposed to refer to a middle aged, overweight, white male who has a tendency to flush with rage. 

know that we often think of them as trumped-up, lower-middle Captain Mainwaring types, but it's probably a bit racist to assume that all gammons are white.

“Gammon is a pejorative term that goes back to the 16th century, which was popularised in British political culture in around 2012”. In my view, the ‘gammon-look’ (pink face) can also happen in people who delight too much in the ‘good things of life’ including expensive booze - rich Tories tend to fit that profile.  As an insult, presumably ‘twat’ could be a safer bet as that does not refer to skin colour, although #MeToo may disagree. People who belong to ethnic minority groups are quite obviously less likely to look like gammons, but many of them have endured prolonged and profound injustice, because of the colour of their skin.

Racism has been ingrained in human brains for centuries. The complete eradication of racism would require extraordinarily powerful forces, akin to a total revolution of human culture(s). Regrettably, like in any other revolutionary episode in history, there will be misunderstandings, false accusations, prejudice, name callings, dogs whistling, etc. down that track. Making meaningful progress will inevitably be a case of one backward step for every two steps forward, but having said all of that, I believe that programmes that aim to eradicate racism are absolutely necessary, BLM or no BLM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, HeliX said:

Really? What bit of that don't you follow? You can only be racist against protected characteristics. Gammon isn't a description of a particular protected characteristic.

It's a minefield.

I had never heard the phrase 'protected characteristic' but you've used it twice there.

So 'gammon' it is. Use with safety and security.

Fucking gammon. Love it!