Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, All Right said:

I have to say it’s suggestive to me of a few big egos who seem to have set up some sort of Ministry for Truth within either the DHSC or Cabinet Office pumping out letters and Facebook posts from anonymous sources basically attacking the press for doing its job and the public for not accepting poorly presented propaganda as fact. 

In these situations, it's difficult to know if those who are defending those running the mess[1] are paid shills or 'useful idiots'.  Both types seem to be emotionally involved in their 'side' never being criticised, but some may also realise that they'd never get paid as well by anyone else.

But what is extraordinary is just how bad they are at it.

[1]  Actually they seem to lack the intellectual ability to do this and rather than explain why the actions and words of their heroes are correct, they can only insult and threaten (usually in a fairly childish manner). those who have dared criticise them. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually they seem to lack the intellectual ability to do this and rather than explain why the actions and words of their heroes are correct, they can only insult and threaten (usually in a fairly childish manner). those who have dared criticise them. 

I’d guess it’s just an extension of the general government bullying culture. There’s not really much intelligence behind it from what I can see. Just threats that people are de-motivated, threats to leave (like anyone ever does) and general persecution complexes that are being amplified by people being asked to account for their (or their chums) actions. I’m sure any intelligent person who has worked for government recognizes the language and tactics straight away. I was skeptical at first but most of it is written in the exact same way using similar passive aggressive language and threats. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I just find science more interesting than potholes. Nowt more than that and I get to choose what I fill my days with. 

I guess I was hoping for some sort of contrition by you acknowledging the working life of an MHK was more than just about debating potholes. 
I should have known better.

I have often thought that politics would be a lot more honest, helpful and relevant if those that get elected could just leave their egos at home. Unfortunately, those that do have this skill don't often wish to be elected. Add the ego problem to oafishness, pomposity and more than a hint of buffoonery and you start having real problems at the top of the political tree. The most basic rule is that you can't question these people. Start claiming that you might have superior expertise and ideas and your wicket gets stickier by the second.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And the way we have been able to live life largely as normal during this global pandemic. Let’s not forget that.

Actually for a pandemic there’s an argument to say that we have been living massively artificially for most of this year. Most other people have been living firmly in reality / as normal for a global pandemic situation. I’m reminded of H G Wells Time Machine and the Eloi and the Morlocks when it comes to the IOM and the rest of the world. 

• Like 2