Glenfaba & Peel

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

But used allegedly as I wasn’t sure if it was true or not as I was a long time ago. 

John was being a little pedantic but in this case he was right to be.

You wrote "allegedly accused of doing x" when the reality was "accused of allegedly doing x".

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Thanks for clarifying. I knew I remembered something from the time. But used allegedly as I wasn’t sure if it was true or not as I was a long time ago. 

You used allegedly in the wrong place for that. And it doesn’t work. Slipping allegedly into a defamatory post won’t stop it being defamatory. Without my explanation, taken on its wording alone, what you posted is probably defamatory of TC.

Also not very popular with some other civil servants because he did do his job properly.  (I'll copy in the full text of this as I don't know how this stuff will now remain on isleofman.com:

Isle of Man News - POSTED Tue 21-11-2006
Civil Servant cleared
by Manx Radio
A senior civil servant has been cleared of any wrongdoing, following an independent investigation into alleged breaches of discipline.

The investigation came about after an examination of e-mails sent by senior DHSS official Trevor Cowin, over a period of almost a year, led the Chief Secretary to believe there had been a number of potential breaches of discipline and that 'management' had failed to deal with them.

However, an investigator has concluded that Mr Cowin's actions throughout the period were 'transparent', were carried out with the full knowledge of his line manager, and did not constitute misconduct.

The DHSS says there was no case to answer.

Beth Espey reports:

(Text of attached audio)
Among other things Mr Cowin was alleged to have contravened the Civil Service Code.

It was claimed he may have used the e-mail system in a way which breached government policy, and which may have constituted bullying and harassment against staff of the Civil Service Commission.

Another claim was that the copying of his emails to trade union officials could have contravened laws of confidentiality and may have contravened the Official Secrets Act.

DHSS political member, former MLC and MHK Dominic Delaney (pictured), says he is delighted the obvious flaws in the original complaint, from the Civil Service Commission, have been identified.

He says Mr Cowin, and his line manager, acted in the best interests of the department, the civil service and the taxpayers of the Isle of Man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The more I hear about Mr Cowin, the more I like him. Can't wait to speak to him in person and bar something atrocious coming to light, I'm pretty sure he's got my vote. 

I need to knuckle down and start doing some serious studying on subjects such as the North and West Plan or whatever the hell they called it. (Licence to Vandalise the Countryside would be closer to the truth.)

I don't want to look like an eejit by getting my facts back to front when talking to the likes of him and Ms Lord-Brennan. 😁  

• Like 1

The Blue Baron appeals to the expat vote, & as an experienced political figure he is capable of motivating them to get out and vote for him

Doubtful that'll be enough for him this time round as the local population is highly motivated for change

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That will happen easily I’d say. Between Lord-Brennan and Cowin there will be enough votes moving away I’d guess. I’ve never understood how Boot got in, in the first place.

It's because there were only three candidates last time, the third being Leslie Hanson. He would have been even more useless, and that's probably a huge understatement. 

I'm incredibly happy we have a much better field to choose from this time. Boot and Harmer will soon be history. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zarley said:

It's because there were only three candidates last time, the third being Leslie Hanson. He would have been even more useless, and that's probably a huge understatement. 

He would have been useless, no doubt, but he wouldn't have been given a ministerial post so he would also have done less damage.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Leslie is quite an intelligent man actually. He couldn’t have been any worse than Harmer. 

Oh I know. I've had many conversations with him. Unfortunately he can be quite pig-headed when he's wrong about something, even when presented with facts. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

He would have been useless, no doubt, but he wouldn't have been given a ministerial post so he would also have done less damage.

Like Roxanne, I wouldn't be so sure he wouldn't have been given a ministerial position and that could have been a disaster if, for example, he'd been put in charge of health. For a dentist he's sure got some outdated ideas on healthcare.