Middle

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

On here? 

Not specifically on this thread, but there's been a fair bit of venom and usually made up of incorrect assumptions of me. Which is fine, I'm happy to prove myself as a viable candidate... I just need to learn the art of separating out actual conversation and people who would rather complain about politics than talk about it. Because I have also witnessed some staggeringly intelligent conversations on the forum. 

I'll strap on my helmet 😂

I'm looking forward to it being about my plans and/or ideas, opposed to the fact that I wear work boots and jeans, or what my hobbies include. 😂

And the candidates who get it easiest are definitely the ones who don't stick their head out. I'm not here for an easy ride though.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:02 AM, Keiran Hannifin said:

That being said....

I'm happy to engage with you in regards to any concerns you might have with me standing and hopefully I can ease them a little.

I appreciate that my attitude comes across as informal, but I assure you I'm taking it seriously.

I'm not a career politician, never wanted to be one. We are entering a time, where the same people we have always had, are going to make things worse then they already are.

1/6 of our workforce are on minimum wage. We have the highest drug related death rate in the British Isles (and much of Europe), yet our Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs have not reported as legally obligated to since 2014. And I've been actively reminding them for a year. No accountability. Lots of suicides. Breeding going down. No movement towards bettering the quality of life for folks on the island, or for steps in improving the prospects for people on the island.

Our biggest export is intelligent minds and working age people.

I intend to give away 23% of the salary (as that is the percentage difference between minimum wage and living wage) because its not about the money.

I have a good mind for solving complex issues, no interest in career or ministerial roles, and a refusal to back down if I think more can be done. And I do.

I was warned against manx forums, as it being "8 bald blokes arguing over a comb and a waste of your time"

But. There's a very good chance I'm getting elected, and my choices and actions are going to directly change affect your life. I'm aiming for that to be a good thing. And for people to support me in it.

You’d probably bypass any questions and continue your own personal agenda like you did for the Manx Radio interview. 

‘We asked each candidate to choose three priorities from the following issues… Keiran decided to choose his own’.  

So, where do you stand on climate change, heritage, tourism, public transport, affordable housing, roads, education, falling birth rate, encouraging university students to return to the island?  

36 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

You’d probably bypass any questions and continue your own personal agenda like you did for the Manx Radio interview. 

‘We asked each candidate to choose three priorities from the following issues… Keiran decided to choose his own’.  

So, where do you stand on climate change, heritage, tourism, public transport, affordable housing, roads, education, falling birth rate, encouraging university students to return to the island?  

Its interesting you say that, imagine only being able to run off of the back of things that manx radio tell you you can? And that being said. They still didn't ask me about the things I stand for, instead asked about how I feel about censoring social media...

Climate change, I'm avidly for, but like everything else, think we need a wider approach then we are currently exploring. From recycling our plastics into free insulation boards for all manx home owners (saving on average £250 annually In heating), to producing more green energy, to intelligent eco system recovery design. Planting loads of trees, badly the way they have is likely to offset very little carbon. Rewilding our uplands, Greenland and disused quarries would do a heck of alot more. I could go on about this... But I tend to write out big spiels that people scroll through. If you are interested in my bigger picture for this, I will make an additional post.

Heritage. It depends what you mean by that. We have a long heritage, if it's talking about big expenses such as horse trams or Peggy whilst we're closing residential homes and opening foodbanks, I believe we should prioritise better. Though, I do believe in heritage.

Tourism, I have spoken about quite extensively, as I want to aim to make the Isle of man a medical tourism hot-spot, whilst increasing focus on turning nobles into a resident training hospital.

Public transport does need encouraging, I actually support the idea of free public transport.

Affordable housing is a virtue signalling issue that every candidate in the history of politics has ran on. Affordable housing cant exist if people don't have money to feed themselves. I have a large idea on a fair pay for labour bill(notably more extensive than the labour party's for bridging the poverty divide). Living wage is the main answer to this question, though a more nationalised work force would also help.

Education, we need to pay teachers better, I'd like religion out of schools, I'd like our college to offer more oppurtunities then they do, and id like a serious move on medical training. Id like more free education for adults, or the option of claiming more expenses back on completed open University courses. 

Falling birth rate and encouraging university students to come back, would both improve with the rest of the stuff I've suggested happening.

Fair rate of pay >more local businesses >more local businesses >more competition >more to do in social environment and employment.

It says alot about the environment that we are in that people are actively not having families. Fix the habitat and make it suitable to thrive and people will. 

Edited by Keiran Hannifin

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

What's the feedback on the doorstep so far Keiran?

Door steps start in June. I've been waiting for more of the population to receive 2nd jab, as well as keeping an eye on effects of loosening border control. Middle is a hugely diverse area, but is home to lots of elderly, people with disabled kids etc. Some people choose middle as home because they are vunerable and wish to be close to a hospital.

I have had scores, if not hundreds of phone calls and messages though. And for the most part, the feedback has been overwhelmingly good. I have obviously received some hate. And some folks literally are there to have a problem with anything. I have thick skin though. :)

Just now, SleepyJoe said:

You're for climate change?

Climate change is already happening, there is nothing to say we can't change it for the better. There is so much that could be done. I had a massive long conversation that basically ended with "the only reason that we can't fix the islands carbon issue is the incinerator" which is both true and ridiculous. But. ALOT could be done. I have lots of ideas about how we could become carbon neutral over the next 15 years...or better still carbon negative. 

@Keiran Hannifin Great that you’re on here - too many of our local politicians avoid MF, with only a couple of exceptions I can think of. 

Problem I’ve found here, and it’s probably the same elsewhere, is that good ideas are very easy to come by. Their implementation is the difficult bit. 

As a lowly MHK amongst 24, with a civil service set in their ways, what’s the first thing you’ll be doing come September when in office? 

• Like 1

How would you pay for more money for teachers and  free education for adults?

A lot of political types spout on about how expensive things are here.  How do go about making them affordable but still allow those supplying the services here to make a living wage - be a sole trader or an employer who has to cover their overheads, staff wages, NI and still earn themselves a decent wage?

Taking religion out of schools, who would that work with the schools with a Catholic ethos here?  

How would you teach students about the different religions in the world if there where no RE lessons on the curriculum?

What is your stance on the legal availability of drugs for recreational use - how would you enforce the rules or regulate the supplies?

Cost of travel - lower fares on the boats - if so,  how? Open skies policy, working or not?  

9 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Taking religion out of schools, who would that work with the schools with a Catholic ethos here?  

How would you teach students about the different religions in the world if there where no RE lessons on the curriculum?

There's a big difference between having RE lessons and having religion in school.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:02 AM, Keiran Hannifin said:

There's a very good chance I'm getting elected, and my choices and actions are going to directly change affect your life. 

Love a bit of modesty in a candidate

• Haha 2