Middle

All discussions relating to this constituency go in this thread please. 

Sitting members:
Howard Quayle MHK (announced not standing )
Bill Shimmins MHK ( announced not standing )

Number of seats: 2

Declared candidates:
David Fowler
Keiran Hannifin
Stu Peters
Alison Lynch
Jane Poole-Wilson

Two Minutes Summary Videos from ManxRadio:

If there is a constituency currently crying out for a strong (decent) candidate then it is this one.

Largely quite a well to do area with lots of families to parents in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

Will any of them be brave enough to throw themselves forward?  I hope so!

• Thanks 1

Both declared candidates have been on MR over the last 2 lunchtimes.

The prospect of no one else standng and either one of them getting in is frightening frightening.

If, God forbid, we end up with only those two for 2 seats then legislation needs to be made to make sure that doesn't happen.  Just erase Middle from the map for 5 years or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So glad I don't live in Middle this time around. After hearing them both on Mannin Line over the last two days I wouldn't bother voting for either.

ETA I gave up on local politics and haven't voted since the Richard Corkill debacle. I haven't moved house either. 

Edited by The Old Git
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I thought Shimmins was the junior member? 

I think he got more votes that Quale so he’s the ‘senior member’ someone told me that’s how they sit in HOK and Tynwald. The one with most votes gets the front seat. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

I think he got more votes that Quale so he’s the ‘senior member’ someone told me that’s how they sit in HOK and Tynwald. The one with most votes gets the front seat. 

In most countries with multi member constituencies it’s date of election that determines seniority

3 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Should there be a NO vote if there is only one contender for a seat? i.e. a minimum of two contenders for each seat before there can be an election.

In SU elections there used to be an option on any ballot of RON - Re-Open-Nominations. So if there was only one candidate he would have to beat RON or there'd be another election. Also anyone could apply to the SU for funding to Run a RON campaign. Sadly I never saw a poster saying "Da-Do Vote RON"

• Like 1