Middle

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

Love a bit of modesty in a candidate

I'm currently uncontested.... It's not so much about modesty, it's about likelihood... Unless at least another 2 decent candidates stand, my odds are pretty good.

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

How would you pay for more money for teachers and  free education for adults?

A lot of political types spout on about how expensive things are here.  How do go about making them affordable but still allow those supplying the services here to make a living wage - be a sole trader or an employer who has to cover their overheads, staff wages, NI and still earn themselves a decent wage?

Taking religion out of schools, who would that work with the schools with a Catholic ethos here?  

How would you teach students about the different religions in the world if there where no RE lessons on the curriculum?

What is your stance on the legal availability of drugs for recreational use - how would you enforce the rules or regulate the supplies?

Cost of travel - lower fares on the boats - if so,  how? Open skies policy, working or not?  

The costs come from investments into this Isle, and saving money where we waste it elsewhere, such as benefit and poverty traps. 

Low-income earners/Benefits overhaul. We accept on the Isle of Man, that £10.19 an hour, is ‘’Living Wage’’, Living wage is what is considered the minimum wage needed to live a normal life, above poverty. Living wage and Minimum wage are not the same, however.

Minimum Wage on the Isle of Man is £8.25. That is a difference of £1.94 an hour, which in a 40-hour work week is £77.60 difference. Where you would/should be earning £407.60 per week, you would only make £330. With the cost of rent or purchase of even the most modest of homes, is it any wonder that we spend so much of our budget on the Benefit System?

If we accept the idea of a Living wage and we also accept that thousands of our population are currently being paid below that, then we are effectively telling a decent chunk of our population that they are not valued enough to be able to live without worry or poverty. In fact, worth 23.5% less. 

The Government, alongside the businesses that profit the most from the work of low-income workers share a moral obligation to provide these people with the same Freedoms to Flourish that they themselves have enjoyed.

We need a system where hours of employee labour are valued, for what they are, which are taxable assets. There should be a cap on how many hours per week a business may pay an employee at a rate that is below the living wage. Any persons who are hired below living wage, will have their wages subsidized in a benefit from the Government, like the Employed Person’s Allowance to bring it to living wage; but unlike the Employed Person’s Allowance, it will not be means tested beyond being paid to those who earn less than living wage. Any extra hours beyond this living wage cap that the businesses wish to employ, must be paid Living wage or above. This would be a move that would have massive economic and social advantages:

*Incentivize people off the benefits system – People rarely want to do the jobs that pay minimum wage, fair pay for these jobs would change that. Paying people a living wage would take a huge weight off our benefits system and encourage a much stronger workforce.

*This will encourage Business/Entrepreneurs – If the lowest income earners of our island all earned living wage, they could themselves afford start up for a business much more easily. When suggesting this idea, many have countered that businesses will simply up and leave if they cannot have unlimited minimum wage paid staff. However, if EVERYONE got paid at least living wage, there would be a lot more money flooding into our economy. More people will be able to afford drinks after work, a haircut, a cleaner once a week and more. In addition, any projected financial loss that a business may face through paying their workers a living wage, would be made up by those formerly underpaid workers spending their extra income on those business services. If this is not the case, then the business surely makes its profits not from the service that they provide, but from the exploitation and labour of low-income workers and it could certainly be argued that we should not encourage that sort of business practice on our island. Raising minimum wage to a living wage, would also drive innovation as many tests have proven that being below the poverty line can reduce an adult’s IQ between 13 and 15 points and can reduce the IQ in children between 4 and 7 points. How many Elon Musks die on a benefit system?

*Slightly ease the difficulty of getting onto the first rung of the property ladder. I am not suggesting that this will fix this issue, I do believe however that it is one of the most important steps we can take. There is a drive every election year for ‘’affordable’’ or ‘’cheap’’ housing. The notion of a house being affordable, or cheap to anyone earning £8.25 an hour is ludicrous to suggest as a realistic option. The first step to affordable housing, is making sure people have financial security.

*Healthcare – Many people might not notice the difference in their wages, because instead they would just work less hours, people might choose to work 3 different jobs. As well as allowing for creation of businesses, or improving Manx culture through art, this will also allow people more freedom to look after their mental health and physical health or give them time to raise their children or care for their elderly parents. The social implications of that alone are massive.

These reformations and the macro economic effects they would have, are just the tip of the iceberg. It could be argued that our Island is an economic microcosm of many parts of the wider world. The reformations we can make and the macro economic effects they would have would provide highly valuable data that could be utilized on a global scale.

My tact as to how I try to get things done, will very much depend on who is appointed as COMIN and chief, though I will Start with draughting legislation, backed up with any relative data I can find, though no other country has done what I'm intending and then trying to brain storm and have responses and answers to each problem.

I'll answer the other questions in a wee while. As I keep getting criticised for dodging questions, and then criticised for answering them 😅 

1 minute ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

I'm currently uncontested.... It's not so much about modesty, it's about likelihood... Unless at least another 2 decent candidates stand, my odds are pretty good.

you know it's 23rd May, right?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

The costs come from investments into this Isle, and saving money where we waste it elsewhere, such as benefit and poverty traps. 

Low-income earners/Benefits overhaul. We accept on the Isle of Man, that £10.19 an hour, is ‘’Living Wage’’, Living wage is what is considered the minimum wage needed to live a normal life, above poverty. Living wage and Minimum wage are not the same, however.

Minimum Wage on the Isle of Man is £8.25. That is a difference of £1.94 an hour, which in a 40-hour work week is £77.60 difference. Where you would/should be earning £407.60 per week, you would only make £330. With the cost of rent or purchase of even the most modest of homes, is it any wonder that we spend so much of our budget on the Benefit System?

If we accept the idea of a Living wage and we also accept that thousands of our population are currently being paid below that, then we are effectively telling a decent chunk of our population that they are not valued enough to be able to live without worry or poverty. In fact, worth 23.5% less. 

The Government, alongside the businesses that profit the most from the work of low-income workers share a moral obligation to provide these people with the same Freedoms to Flourish that they themselves have enjoyed.

We need a system where hours of employee labour are valued, for what they are, which are taxable assets. There should be a cap on how many hours per week a business may pay an employee at a rate that is below the living wage. Any persons who are hired below living wage, will have their wages subsidized in a benefit from the Government, like the Employed Person’s Allowance to bring it to living wage; but unlike the Employed Person’s Allowance, it will not be means tested beyond being paid to those who earn less than living wage. Any extra hours beyond this living wage cap that the businesses wish to employ, must be paid Living wage or above. This would be a move that would have massive economic and social advantages:

*Incentivize people off the benefits system – People rarely want to do the jobs that pay minimum wage, fair pay for these jobs would change that. Paying people a living wage would take a huge weight off our benefits system and encourage a much stronger workforce.

*This will encourage Business/Entrepreneurs – If the lowest income earners of our island all earned living wage, they could themselves afford start up for a business much more easily. When suggesting this idea, many have countered that businesses will simply up and leave if they cannot have unlimited minimum wage paid staff. However, if EVERYONE got paid at least living wage, there would be a lot more money flooding into our economy. More people will be able to afford drinks after work, a haircut, a cleaner once a week and more. In addition, any projected financial loss that a business may face through paying their workers a living wage, would be made up by those formerly underpaid workers spending their extra income on those business services. If this is not the case, then the business surely makes its profits not from the service that they provide, but from the exploitation and labour of low-income workers and it could certainly be argued that we should not encourage that sort of business practice on our island. Raising minimum wage to a living wage, would also drive innovation as many tests have proven that being below the poverty line can reduce an adult’s IQ between 13 and 15 points and can reduce the IQ in children between 4 and 7 points. How many Elon Musks die on a benefit system?

*Slightly ease the difficulty of getting onto the first rung of the property ladder. I am not suggesting that this will fix this issue, I do believe however that it is one of the most important steps we can take. There is a drive every election year for ‘’affordable’’ or ‘’cheap’’ housing. The notion of a house being affordable, or cheap to anyone earning £8.25 an hour is ludicrous to suggest as a realistic option. The first step to affordable housing, is making sure people have financial security.

*Healthcare – Many people might not notice the difference in their wages, because instead they would just work less hours, people might choose to work 3 different jobs. As well as allowing for creation of businesses, or improving Manx culture through art, this will also allow people more freedom to look after their mental health and physical health or give them time to raise their children or care for their elderly parents. The social implications of that alone are massive.

These reformations and the macro economic effects they would have, are just the tip of the iceberg. It could be argued that our Island is an economic microcosm of many parts of the wider world. The reformations we can make and the macro economic effects they would have would provide highly valuable data that could be utilized on a global scale.

My tact as to how I try to get things done, will very much depend on who is appointed as COMIN and chief, though I will Start with draughting legislation, backed up with any relative data I can find, though no other country has done what I'm intending and then trying to brain storm and have responses and answers to each problem.

I'll answer the other questions in a wee while. As I keep getting criticised for dodging questions, and then criticised for answering them 😅 

You need to answer each one separately, otherwise eyes glaze over and you cause the TL:DNR syndrome in your target audience.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

10 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

I can only use the info that currently exists. Though, that being said... I'm hopeful more people will run. I'd be happy enough with me and Bill shimmin. 

You’re delusional. And you don’t even know the surname of the other declared candidate.

You've no chance. And that’s from someone who voted for HM Solé in the South Douglas by election. I like an underdog, someone who thinks outside the box. You, it’s just an unconscious stream of drivel.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

I can only use the info that currently exists. Though, that being said... I'm hopeful more people will run. I'd be happy enough with me and Bill shimmin. 

Thats not even Bill's name!

If it is still uncontested with a week to go I would be tempted to put myself forward!

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Thats not even Bill's name!

If it is still uncontested with a week to go I would be tempted to put myself forward!

*shimmins - auto correct.

And, you would be doing a disservice to your area, as you would not be able to show people who you are. Though, as I've said, I'm hopeful that more will run. The island deserves to be able to choose. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

*shimmins - auto correct.

And, you would be doing a disservice to your area, as you would not be able to show people who you are. Though, as I've said, I'm hopeful that more will run. The island deserves to be able to choose. 

A disservice?  I clearly wouldn't run in a disguise and with "Vote Trmpton" on all my campaign materials

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

A disservice?  I clearly wouldn't run in a disguise and with "Vote Trmpton" on all my campaign materials

I think he means standing a week before election isn't long enough for people to digest your viewpoints.

• Like 1

Just now, HeliX said:

I think he means standing a week before election isn't long enough for people to digest your viewpoints.

You cant do that for obvious reasons.  You an stand at any point up to the deadline for declaring and getting the relevant paperwork in - such as a list of 20 signatures supporting your standing.

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

You cant do that for obvious reasons.  You an stand at any point up to the deadline for declaring and getting the relevant paperwork in - such as a list of 20 signatures supporting your standing.

Technically, no-one is actually officially a candidate yet,  They are just people who have declared their intention to become one when they actually can

"Individuals wishing to stand as a candidate in the 2021 House of Keys General Election must complete and submit a nomination form to the Returning Officer for their constituency between 10am on Wednesday 18 August 2021 and 1pm on Wednesday 25 August 2021."

26 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

You’re delusional. And you don’t even know the surname of the other declared candidate.

You've no chance. And that’s from someone who voted for HM Solé in the South Douglas by election. I like an underdog, someone who thinks outside the box. You, it’s just an unconscious stream of drivel.

Has Mr Shimmins declared as yet?

He teased us all on his recent Isle of Man TV appearance

35 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Last I checked, missing a letter off of the end of someones name doesn't make you delusional.

Ill happily chat through any parts you find to be an unconscious stream of drivel, if you're having trouble with it.

Edited by Keiran Hannifin
  • Like 1