Tokyo Olympics

Max Power

2 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I probably do...   🙂

But I also resent John Wright's comments.  

EDIT:  Actually I'm not sure if I'm overthinking it or John Wright is projecting something onto my question that isn't there.

I’m projecting nothing. I’m pointing out that your questions were unnecessary and if they related to other characteristics you would see that.

And I’m not going to try and school you in non binary, TG or anything else. They mean different things to different people. Hence all the fuss about TG women being, or not being, women.

As I say, it’s Quinn’s truth and reality, how they self describe. And how they self describe neither adds, nor takes away, anything from their Olympic achievement.

Lots of rumblings going on about a possible investigation into UK rowing, not only the former head coach and his 'methods' but also what the feck did they spend £25million quid on in the last Olympic cycle.

UK Climbing, UK Cycling (non road or track), UK Gymnastics and a couple of other sports are already asking for more funding what with Paris only 3 years away.

10 hours ago, The Chief said:

Lots of rumblings going on about a possible investigation into UK rowing, not only the former head coach and his 'methods' but also what the feck did they spend £25million quid on in the last Olympic cycle.

UK Climbing, UK Cycling (non road or track), UK Gymnastics and a couple of other sports are already asking for more funding what with Paris only 3 years away.

Strange how the funding works - do well, get more, underperform, and it might be cut.  Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Rowing certainly underperformed.  Perhaps it's because they didn't get to train as much as crews.  Climbing, cycling, gymnastics are more individual events - if the 9 guys in the main boat can't work together every day there's going to be a problem.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

The opposite would insensitive failure?

Maybe, but by its very nature, the sports participants want to succeed. I don’t think for example they’d underperform deliberately to secure funding in the next round. 

On 8/7/2021 at 4:51 PM, quilp said:

@Ghost Ship  I wouldn't consider that post over-thought. As with some posters on here it was likely incompletely speed read and selectively perceived.

Good post...

Oh well - thanks for reading it properly anyway.

After the Olympics finished on Sunday I happened to catch Laurel and Hardy on Talking Pictures in their short "Laughing Gravy" - the name of their pet dog.  I would have asked here if anybody knew how long they'd been getting shown on Talking Pictures but was afraid my question might be mis-read by some as betraying an inherent prurient interest in two grown men sharing a bed together - rather than just wanting to know how long they'd been back on free-to-watch TV...

• Like 1

Plenty of L&H on YouTube. My errant son (25) was wallowing in his own head one afternoon, gloomy as fuck, unresponsive when not being surly; nothing would shift his mood. So I put L&H on (the duo unknown to him) and left the room. Half an hour later, whilst out in the garden I could hear him belly-laughing. Complete change of mood.

The chimney sweep episode is one of my favourites...