Charlie Watts R.I.P.

De nada

I still don't really see what you mean. I understand that Watts was quite an accomplished jazz drummer, although I never saw him play. His work with the Stones sounds quite basic to my ear. The rhythmic emphasis in that track seems to be mainly defined by the compression to me. Nothing wrong with that though. 

I can't do a music theory explanation but quite simply Charlie Watts' drumming brought something totally unique to the Stones' sound and that has now gone. 

It's poignant listening to his classics and those more personal favourites. A key part of many people's musical enjoyment over many decades. A stabilizing rock within the dynamic of the Rolling Stones. 

Dust we are and to dust we will return. Memento Mori. 

10 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

quite simply Charlie Watts' drumming brought something totally unique to the Stones' sound and that has now gone. 

Oh I shouldn't think they'd have much trouble finding a suitable replacement if that's what they choose to do. You shouldn't get too carried away. 

• Sad 1

The king is dead, long live the king.

Steve Jordan will sit in Charlie's place, being he is one of the finest groove-drummers on the planet he'll fit right in with the Stones. No better replacement for Charlie. He'll also be, at 64, the baby of the band...

Here he is jamming in style. 

Edited by quilp
Stuff
  • Thanks 1