Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s not going to happen. He lost votes largely over the Ramsey Marina which is a complete non issue. 

Is it?  Why has the beach suddenly appeared on the strategic plan after the date for final submissions for land to be considered.

Something dodgy is in the pipeline

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s not going to happen. He lost votes largely over the Ramsey Marina which is a complete non issue. 

That may as be but that's a shed load of votes your boy lost. A shed load, laddie.

Hardly an indication of a man who is 'in touch', is it.

This thread is a pretty solid indication of why popularly electing the chief minister is a poor idea:

• People posting misunderstandings or incomplete information as absolute facts
  • Most people don't know how National Insurance is calculated or used, but think they've got what it takes to competently assess policy
  • Endless ranting about minutiae like wigs, or the Bishop
  • Believing the government should be doing much more with much less, but will then complain about any cuts in services
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

That may as be but that's a shed load of votes your boy lost. A shed load, laddie.

Hardly an indication of a man who is 'in touch', is it.

Didn't actually lose though if he did he wouldn't be an MHK. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if he got in by 1 vote or a thousand he's still in 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

He’s not my boy and I’m not a laddie. I’m just pointing out that most of the votes he lost seem to be from backwards Ramsey-ites voting on the marina and nothing to do with national politics or whether he might be a good chief minister. 

Nice stereotyping and pure guess work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Tell me then how a lunatic like Simon Mann got 555 votes or a mad pensioner like Singer got 405? There’s nearly 1,000 votes there just from two crackpots who stood basically on a marina platform and little else. That’s where Allinson lost his 1,000 odd votes. 

Populist issues will always draw votes from the grannies see David Cretney for further details.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Tell me then how a lunatic like Simon Mann got 555 votes or a mad pensioner like Singer got 405? There’s nearly 1,000 votes there just from two crackpots who stood basically on a marina platform and little else. That’s where Allinson lost his 1,000 odd votes. 

Mann managed to garner all those votes by proposing some radically strong proposals to what many of the elected perceive as failings in Govt, in the town of Ramsey and in society in general. I would bet that a great many of those votes came from the older generation too, particularly in respect of his stance on aspects of law and order.

It was far too strong to be realistic of course but it might well be an indicator of the general disaffection with the current state of things?

Singer just rounded up his flock of loyal grannies as usual, though they'll be thinning out by now too. He can continue playing on the Commissioners for a while.

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Wasn’t he the candidate who said that people should be able to buy their way out of prison if they were wealthy enough? It seemed to be an odd take on law and order.

You will disagree but I don’t think that is where allinsons votes went.  He is very marmite.  Some love him and lots really don’t.

I actually think had there been less candidates splitting the vote he wouldn’t have got back in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The only thing Allinson has really got against him from a vote from the floor of Tynwald is that he isn’t Manx born. Cannan at least can claim lineage from a long line of Manx family even if he wasn’t strictly born on the IOM.

How strictly do you need to be born on the IOM?  Either he was or wasn't.  Rather than birth right, I would rather see an intelligent,  articulate and committed CM.  We have seen just how a local lad can actually be a liability, and that was before the current rumours.

• Like 5

Maybe Allinson lost votes because a significant number of Ramsey voters recognise that he was a pretty average doctor and is now a fairly average politician. The fact that he is a Doctor rises him above many of the others who are just attention seeking dimwits but that does not necessarily make him a good CM candidate. My suspicion is that he is another, more educated attention seeker who would remain wispy-washy on the major issues for the Island. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Wasn’t he the candidate who said that people should be able to buy their way out of prison if they were wealthy enough? It seemed to be an odd take on law and order.

I don't think that was actually the way it was intended, though it might have been an unintended consequence. I think it was intended for "all" as "instant payable penalty" to try and keep incarceration and justice costs down, a little like fixed penalty notices now save court time. Unfortunately I've chucked his manifesto so I can't read it back. But as I posted previously, many of his other points would have had appeal to Ramsey-ites, he was offering to "grasp some of the nettles" that are often quoted on here too. Maybe it was all phrased a little too extremely? Somebody will still have to do it after the can-kicking is finished though.

Allinson's manifesto just seemed to be full of wishes with no bones to support them somehow, I didn't vote for him for that reason. I suspect his approach has been tempered by his 5 years experience though. He's seen just how difficult it is to push things through and deliver.

40 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

We're now onto birth right and lineage of both CM candidates. Jesus wept.

And with it comes the sense of entitlement, like they are the Manx Aristocracy. Mind you, Rob Callister is the Peoples Prince.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1