What’s the benefit? Just to help with lost and found? Stick an apple tag on them.
DCBEAF37-3343-4485-90A3-6895C0BD8183.jpeg

Ours are already chipped but that’s mainly because they travel around the world with us and it’s needed for paperwork. 

44 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Stick an apple tag on them.

That's fine if your cat pops into town. Utterly useless if it heads for the countryside or away from people with iPhones.

Because Apple tags depend upon everyone's iPhone effectively forming a tracking network. The range is very limited. So if nobody within a few metres is carrying an iPhone then your cat is no longer tracked.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

To be introduced in UK, the same for IoM please? Cat owners are currently absolved for most responsibility for their pets on the grounds of their being "free spirits".

Screenshot_20211204-132549_Chrome.jpg

Surely this won't do anything beyond identifying a stray/lost cat.

It doesn't change any laws regarding cats roaming.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

What’s the benefit? Just to help with lost and found? Stick an apple tag on them.

Yes rather than use a cheap, long-lasting technology we should opt for an expensive, temporary one.   

18 minutes ago, pongo said:

That's fine if your cat pops into town. Utterly useless if it heads for the countryside or away from people with iPhones.

If Moggie Amadeus isn't hanging around with people with the latest iPhone, she's dead to him.  Cat's got to show class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Surely this won't do anything beyond identifying a stray/lost cat.

It doesn't change any laws regarding cats roaming.

True...but the imposition of a little bit of responsibility may have further reaches? People may be less inclined to let them breed so freely if they know that they've got to have them chipped and take responsibility for them. Mann Cat Sanctuary had an article a couple of weeks back that reckoned that a single cat can ultimately be responsible for 20,000 offspring after generations are taken into account .

The article I screenshot claims 10.8M cats in UK, more than one for every ten people. If you take that ratio across to the Island then there might be 10,000 cats here? How many are chipped or have any owners?

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

So can a single human.

Yes, but not attained as quickly with litters of ten+. Nor with brothers and sisters inbreeding with no apparent genetic ill-effects (except some areas of Ronague and South Douglas maybe 😂 ).

Oh! a Cat thread. 
I don't generally read catch threads on the internet but apparently the internet is made for posting cat videos and pictures. I was somehow directed to this one this morning and have to admit I found it very amusing:

• Haha 1

So if it's compulsory to microchip your cat, how the hell are they going to know if you've done it? Presumably the only time the chip is used is when the cat is lost and found, so if you haven't chipped it they won't know it's your cat anyway.

Do we really have a cat problem anyway? There seem to be less strays around than there used to be, and what there are presumably help to keep the vermin down.

Seems like more laws for the sake of it. Lets legislate because we can!

There's too many people employed to invent rules and regulations these days - if they don't keep producing them they're out of a job, so the unnecessary, ill-thought-out and ineffective rules keep coming.

What constitutes ownership of a cat anyway? Does feeding a local moggy mean you own it? What about the Tom cat that shits in my garden, do I own it?

We need to wake up and realise the UK is hugely over-regulated in world terms, and hang on to some of the small freedoms we still have left here without going any further towards the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

We need to wake up and realise the UK is hugely over-regulated in world terms, and hang on to some of the small freedoms we still have left here without going any further towards the same way.

I think that ship sailed years ago!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The article I screenshot claims 10.8M cats in UK, more than one for every ten people. If you take that ratio across to the Island then there might be 10,000 cats here? How many are chipped or have any owners?

This article from the MSPCA claimed it could be as low as 40%, (it's 70% in the UK) but I suspect that is an underestimate based on the cats they see being an unrepresentative sample.  In my experience there are probably more cats with multiple (people who think they are the) owners, than those without any.  You don't see that many strays around.

• Like 2