Anyone know what’s going on with Saffron Ramsey?

The Voice of Reason

19 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Thoughts on the best Indians in Doolish? 

A friend has ordered a couple of take-aways from Ghandi recently when I've been visiting.  It's not offensive, but also nothing to write home about. 

The Street Kitchen on Prospect Hill is surprisingly good, but unfortunately only open for lunch. 

The new place, Orange Indya seems to be garnering consistently good reviews. Castle Street, the “cultural quarter”

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, The Phantom said:

Thoughts on the best Indians in Doolish? 

A friend has ordered a couple of take-aways from Ghandi recently when I've been visiting.  It's not offensive, but also nothing to write home about. 

The Street Kitchen on Prospect Hill is surprisingly good, but unfortunately only open for lunch. 

If you find a decent curry let us all know. Very disheartened at the moment. 

I agree. Plenty of inoffensive offerings but nothing to get excited about. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Oh dear. 

Had several experiences  like that in its previous incarnation “Spice of India”

Went thrice under the Saffron name. All good.

Just shows I guess ( not sure what it shows but it must show something)

Anything that has any relationship whatsoever to the dreaded 'Spice of India' would be given a very wide berth by me. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Anything that has any relationship whatsoever to the dreaded 'Spice of India' would be given a very wide berth by me. 

I’m pretty sure there is no relationship other than both enterprises using the same premises. Sorry if I gave a different impression.

That said my experience of the late Spice of India was either brilliant or awful. You never knew what you were going to get.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m pretty sure there is no relationship other than both enterprises using the same premises. Sorry if I gave a different impression.

That said my experience of the late Spice of India was either brilliant or awful. You never knew what you were going to get.

I think we must have been unlucky. On one occasion we actually got nothing at all. After 2 hours of waiting we walked out. Had a takeaway from the phoenix. Never been back since. 

We love velikas. The food is nice if unremarkable but it's a nice friendly environment. Better than anything in Douglas I reckon. 

13 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think we must have been unlucky. On one occasion we actually got nothing at all. After 2 hours of waiting we walked out. Had a takeaway from the phoenix. Never been back since. 

We love velikas. The food is nice if unremarkable but it's a nice friendly environment. Better than anything in Douglas I reckon. 

Personal preference obviously but I’m not keen on Velikas. They always seem understaffed and the food like you say is unremarkable.

If pushed I would have to say that my favourite Indian on the Island is Tandoor

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Personal preference obviously but I’m not keen on Velikas. They always seem understaffed and the food like you say is unremarkable.

If pushed I would have to say that my favourite Indian on the Island is Tandoor

We like Tandoor. I agree its pretty good. Its a bit 'South Indian' for us.

We like dry, garllicky, salty, oily curries in the style of Bradford, Birmingham and for some reason you just don't get that here.

The chef from the long gone Gali's kitchen was from Brum and he could cook that style but he said it didn't work in the IOM and also they didn't do enough covers to make it worthwhile

16 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That's been my experience at the Royal India in Peel. They were pretty good when they first opened, but in recent years it's been nearly inedible or quite tasty. Rarely inbetween.

My family and I have given up on them as it's such a disappointment when the food is crap, but still costs the same amount of money as when it's good. You never know which you're going to get.