Anyone know what’s going on with Saffron Ramsey?

The Voice of Reason

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The chef from the long gone Gali's kitchen was from Brum and he could cook that style but he said it didn't work in the IOM and also they didn't do enough covers to make it worthwhile

Indeed, Gali's was good.  Shame it closed. 

Kurries & Steaks used to do some incredible Tandoor Lambchops (curry meat lollipops) but last time I went, they weren't doing them anymore and alas it was a complete shambles in there.  I think the owner is concentrating on the Street Kitchen, which although Fusiony/Bombay Cafe style, is remarkably good.  Similar style food and idea to the Dishoom chain, which is no bad thing at all. 

The best Indian meal I ever had was 38 years ago in Manhattan. (Broadway and 96th IIRC)

2nd best was on NYE 35 years ago in Lewisham.

3rd best was in Bedford about 20 years ago. 

I've never had an Indian on the island that came close to any of those. 

On 1/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, Zarley said:

The best Indian meal I ever had was 38 years ago in Manhattan. (Broadway and 96th IIRC)

2nd best was on NYE 35 years ago in Lewisham.

3rd best was in Bedford about 20 years ago. 

I've never had an Indian on the island that came close to any of those. 

Have you tried Bradford? 

20 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Have you tried Bradford? 

Not yet, but I would like to one day. I had a friend (sadly now deceased) who lived there for years before coming back home to the island. She always said one of the things she missed most about Bradford was the Indian restaurants.

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Not yet, but I would like to one day. I had a friend (sadly now deceased) who lived there for years before coming back home to the island. She always said one of the things she missed most about Bradford was the Indian restaurants.

I’m happy to meet up for a trip to Bradford, or Wilmslow Road, Rusholme, Manchester Curry Mile or Birmingham Balti Triangle.

One of the best curry houses in the NorthWest is Sultan of Lancaster. I often pop in if I’m catching the the 02.15 from Heysham. They don’t serve alcohol, but really good Lassi, and their fresh lemon sherbet is spectacular 

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m happy to meet up for a trip to Bradford, or Wilmslow Road, Rusholme, Manchester Curry Mile or Birmingham Balti Triangle.

One of the best curry houses in the NorthWest is Sultan of Lancaster. I often pop in if I’m catching the the 02.15 from Heysham. They don’t serve alcohol, but really good Lassi, and their fresh lemon sherbet is spectacular 

Wish I’d have known earlier. We sometimes stay at The Borough in Lancaster if there’s boat or car problems. It’s very close by. 

8 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Wish I’d have known earlier. We sometimes stay at The Borough in Lancaster if there’s boat or car problems. It’s very close by. 

It’s on the, raised, ground floor of a former Methodist chapel. It’s where my family worshipped from time to time. I went to Sunday school in the basement. But I don’t think that’s why the no alcohol rule is in place. The management are devout and won’t allow you to consume your own.

Theyve also got a takeaway ( Sultan Experience ) on the campus at Bailrigg.

https://sultanoflancaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Sultan-Menu.pdf

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Nice offer, thanks, but I won't be going off-island for the foreseeable. Maybe next year?

Thanks covid!

(due to money issues, not doom-coven membership)

On 1/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, The Phantom said:

Kurries & Steaks used to do some incredible Tandoor Lambchops (curry meat lollipops) but last time I went, they weren't doing them anymore and alas it was a complete shambles in there. 

The chef that used to do them left to set up on his own.  He now runs Flavours towards the bottom of Broadway, on the left more or less opposite the Villa carpark gates.  He will cook whatever you wish, given a bit of notice. 

There is always a 'specials' board with local produce when possible.  Not the cheapest, but by far the best in town, but don't tell everyone!

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, war baby said:

The chef that used to do them left to set up on his own.  He now runs Flavours towards the bottom of Broadway, on the left more or less opposite the Villa carpark gates.  He will cook whatever you wish, given a bit of notice. 

There is always a 'specials' board with local produce when possible.  Not the cheapest, but by far the best in town, but don't tell everyone!

Just back. It was very good. Thanks for the tip. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...