Anyone know what’s going on with Saffron Ramsey?

The Voice of Reason

Went recently to Saffron. Food good, service not so.

Anyway was surprised to see despite being the claims of being under new management the chap who appeared to manage the Spice of India ( when it was where GoodStuff is now and when it moved to St Pauls Square) walk through the door and into the kitchen.

Make of that what you will. The food have always found to be good but something odd about whether it is managed from Manchester or Milton Keynes.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:17 PM, Happier diner said:

Anyone tried Orange Indya?

I've been as well.

Really liked it.

Believe the owner and chef is from Pakistan rather than India so not traditional indian. Small menu but, for me, food was very well done and service excellent. Assume the one lady serving is the wife of owner.

I did have someone in work go who's normally a korma type person. There wasn't anything as mild on the menu and she asked for it to be like a korma. Apparently he did something specifically for her but still too hot and she didn't like it. She is a bit of a miserable sod though.

• Like 2

Just now, jackwhite said:

I've been as well.

Really liked it.

Believe the owner and chef is from Pakistan rather than India so not traditional indian. Small menu but, for me, food was very well done and service excellent. Assume the one lady serving is the wife of owner.

I did have someone in work go who's normally a korma type person. There wasn't anything as mild on the menu and she asked for it to be like a korma. Apparently he did something specifically for her but still too hot and she didn't like it. She is a bit of a miserable sod though.

I’ll give you a Josem statistic ( you’ll have to check it because it might be made up ).

90% of UK Indian restaurants are owned/run by people with a Bangladeshi/Pakistani heritage.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:36 PM, Kopek said:

Yes, excellent! Rahul was chef somewhere else and has set up this with his Wife(?). Some different and well presented dishes. A particularly nice garlic dish. Very friendly service.

I *THINK* the chefs from Kurries & Steaks and Aura went to Flavours (on Broadway) and Orange Indya. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Went recently to Saffron. Food good, service not so.

Anyway was surprised to see despite being the claims of being under new management the chap who appeared to manage the Spice of India ( when it was where GoodStuff is now and when it moved to St Pauls Square) walk through the door and into the kitchen.

Make of that what you will. The food have always found to be good but something odd about whether it is managed from Manchester or Milton Keynes.

That would be enough to put me off for life

25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ll give you a Josem statistic ( you’ll have to check it because it might be made up ).

90% of UK Indian restaurants are owned/run by people with a Bangladeshi/Pakistani heritage.

:D I agree , In the UK certainly a great number (and best) are as you say. The dishes are not really authentic Bangladeshi/Pakistani they are typically tailored for the British taste buds (not always though)

That's OK for us as our favourite 'Indians' are in Bradford/Manchester/Brum

On the Island they seem to mostly Indian and there is a small pool of Chefs who circulate. 

Edited by Happier diner

29 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I've been as well.

Really liked it.

We thought the mixed stater was absolutely delicious. But we thought the mains were a let down. Too sweet and fruity. The service was great.

29 minutes ago, quilp said:

No meat in a proper traditional Indian restaurant. 

No beef ( but Kerala is an exception ). But mutton is common, and goat, and poultry, fish ( on the coast or by lakes/rivers ) and seafood.

Whether or not it’s vegetarian depends on caste/religion.

But, then, like everywhere, historically, there was much less non vegetable protein, much more vegetables and carbohydrate, rice, legumes, breads, as a matter of cost, availability and lack of refrigeration/preservation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

On the Island they seem to mostly Indian and there is a small pool of Chefs who circulate. 

I’ve had Chicken 65 starter twice at Aura and they were completely different each time. I queried if I had the right dish second time (not complaining) and the waiter / owner explained that one chef was from the south of India and the other was from the north and that was how they did it. I liked them both. 

18 hours ago, The Old Git said:

I *THINK* the chefs from Kurries & Steaks and Aura went to Flavours (on Broadway) and Orange Indya. 

Definitely the chef from Aura who is the owner and sole chef in Orange Indya.

Know the owner at K&S. Chef has definitely left recently but not sure where he went.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:14 AM, jackwhite said:

Definitely the chef from Aura who is the owner and sole chef in Orange Indya.

Know the owner at K&S. Chef has definitely left recently but not sure where he went.

Isn't it the chef from K&S who set up flavours ?.

Probably the best in Douglas ..