Anyone know what’s going on with Saffron Ramsey?

The Voice of Reason

I went about 4 weeks ago. Easily the worst Indian I’ve ever eaten at on Island.

They rang and asked us to change booking time because “they were full”.

We arrived, only 4 tables occupied, and it remained that way for 2 hours.

Ordered off menu. Waiter came back, several items not available, reordered.

When food arrived it bore little resemblance to what we ordered. Excuse, we changed the menu and gave you the nearest thing.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, John Wright said:

I went about 4 weeks ago. Easily the worst Indian I’ve ever eaten at on Island.

They rang and asked us to change booking time because “they were full”.

We arrived, only 4 tables occupied, and it remained that way for 2 hours.

Ordered off menu. Waiter came back, several items not available, reordered.

When food arrived it bore little resemblance to what we ordered. Excuse, we changed the menu and gave you the nearest thing.

Oh dear. 

Had several experiences  like that in its previous incarnation “Spice of India”

Went thrice under the Saffron name. All good.

Just shows I guess ( not sure what it shows but it must show something)

On 12/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, quilp said:

In a "traditional" Indian restaurant you'd find no meat as traditionally, Indians are veggies. Strangely enough, most Indian restaurants in the UK are run by British Bangladeshi families. 

I meant traditional British Indian restaurants, the ones we’ve grown up with. 

Like British Chinese restaurants which bear little resemblance to the places you may find in China.

They are generally nominated as “Indian” restaurants in searches on social media etc irrespective of the British Bangladeshi connection. It’s just a convention 

20 minutes ago, finlo said:

At the roundabout at the top of Ramsey's quay.

As for the other place I'd heard some of the staff had been rounded up as illegals.

OK thanks for the answer I initially posed Finlo.

John re Velikas . When it initially opened it was a bit of a breath of fresh air. But it has so long rested on it’s laurels.

I haven’t been there for some time my main gripe being the service.

The waiting between being seated, having your drinks order taken, then your meal order and perhaps the longest wait of all getting our bill and paying for it.

Re the food itself it’s fine but I find it to be nothing out of the ordinary 

Maybe it’s staffing issues which may explain why Saffron have got themselves into trouble.

Anyway we all have our preferred or non preferred restaurants which we can favour or dislike for any number of factors

. We may have encountered them on a bad day or don’t like the way they prepare a particular dish. Which is why I can ask someone for their opinion of a restaurant I have not visited before which I will take on board but until I have been there myself I won’t opine on.

For that reason I take Trip Advisor with a bit of caution 

Vellikas is still the number 1 for me

They serve a number of dishes not found in your "traditional [insert quilp approved descriptive here] restaurant" but when I was visiting southern India I found a number of dishes there and tried them and found them to be of a similar standard to Vellikas (for what that is worth as I am no expert)

• Like 1

Indian restaurants up North for me lately are:

1 Saffron - Superb every one of the 6 times we went while they were open in groups of 2 to 18.

2 The one that used to be Jean Pierres. - service a bit curt, but food good and a bit different

3 Vellikas - only ever been average when I have been.

All based on the last few weeks.  I think Vellikas is down on how good it used to be.

Rumour is Saffron was due to open again today after work permit issues.  No idea if it has or not but I hope so as it was superb and shoprite next door for wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on the best Indians in Doolish? 

A friend has ordered a couple of take-aways from Ghandi recently when I've been visiting.  It's not offensive, but also nothing to write home about. 

The Street Kitchen on Prospect Hill is surprisingly good, but unfortunately only open for lunch.