Kerry Sharpe MLC has been appointed Isle of Man Children's Champion! (who is she)?

Last Ten

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Ms Sharpe doesn't really communicate with the paying public so it's a job to know what is going on

And gets paid a nice £63,776 per year for doing so!

Nice work if you can get it.

E55F25CE-2B52-49A5-9275-BF3008A68244.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, New Broom said:

Would that be the same Dudley Butt who was brought over from his special branch days in N Ireland? Yeah, he was always going to 'rattle those cages' wasn't he?

A bit like that Rottweiler editor son of his - the old guard must quake in their boots..

A bloody good man

• Like 4

On 4/8/2022 at 5:51 AM, New Broom said:

Would that be the same Dudley Butt who was brought over from his special branch days in N Ireland? Yeah, he was always going to 'rattle those cages' wasn't he?

A bit like that Rottweiler editor son of his - the old guard must quake in their boots..

You must be thinking of a different Dudley Butt. It’s a very common name so easy mistake.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The whole notion of a 'Children's Champion' smacks of bullshit anyway. Political virtue signalling and little more than a policy emoji. Get out the crayons... 

It depends whether the job description has changed over the years.  I think that when it started, the champion was to be a voice and advocate for the kids who were in the care of the state - 'looked afer children' as the social workers call them.  Around the world, children in that situation tend to get a fairly grim deal, so having someone who listens to them and is in the parliament is important IMHO.  Dudley's Butt took the job seriously and was well-regarded.

If the champion now tries to speak for all children, I tend to agree with you.

27 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

It depends whether the job description has changed over the years.  I think that when it started, the champion was to be a voice and advocate for the kids who were in the care of the state - 'looked afer children' as the social workers call them.  Around the world, children in that situation tend to get a fairly grim deal, so having someone who listens to them and is in the parliament is important IMHO.  Dudley's Butt took the job seriously and was well-regarded.

If the champion now tries to speak for all children, I tend to agree with you.

Indeed Dudley did and think he would have loved to carry on doing it but didnt suit the powers that be sadly. 

• Like 1