The Alpine - Saturday night opening

jackwhite

Noticed The Alpine are open now on a Saturday night doing tapas and a real variety of new drinks on social media, so went along.

You need to have one of the tapas dishes at least but my party shared a few between us and it was delicious.

The main reason for going was that they were mentioning they have an excellent brewery on tap (Verdant) and had a pint of their Headband. It's not cheap but I know the price of the beer so don't mind paying around a £1 more than a standard Carling.

Other than that we shared some double IPAs they had in their fridge along with a couple of stouts, whisky and even some rum! We sipped these and shared amongst ourselves, although I was definitely feeling the effects on Sunday!

Excellent little night and something a bit different.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Tasty it may be, but calling it Tapas seems a bit of a stretch.

Definition of tapas seems to be 'small plates of food that are served with drinks or before a main meal'

What are you disagreeing with here?

Edited by jackwhite

30 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Definition of tapas seems to be 'small plates of food that are served with drinks or before a main meal'

What are you disagreeing with here?

Proper Tapas is a snack.  You have several for a meal. 

I was told during one of several extensive tasting trips to San Sebastian, that it originated in Spain to try and stop so many people getting drunk.  You had to buy food with your booze.  Tapas was slang for 'caps' or 'tops', which they resembled as you'd have a cap of food on top of your drink when served. 

Edited by The Phantom

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Proper Tapas is a snack.  You have several for a meal. 

I was told during one of several extensive tasting trips to San Sebastian, that it originated in Spain to try and stop so many people getting drunk.  You had to buy food with your booze.  Tapas was slang for 'caps' or 'tops', which they resembled as you'd have a cap of food on top of your drink when served. 

So taking that into account, you could still say they're within the definition.