TT 2023

0bserver

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sorry, you're right, I misread the table.  Hooper was Minister for both DfE and DHSC from 10/11/22 to 14/2/23, though how much time he spent at DfE in that period is another matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Twitch said:

I hear you on Tim Johnston but unfortunately sometimes you have to take the hit for mistakes made in the past. Wasn't he also a DFE member for some time in Business Isle of Man, so responsible for retail I assume. If DFE is as functional as it claims to be then he would have known all about procurement processes / issues well in advance and raised concerns at the time with the then Minister or officers. 

Nobody takes the hit for ANY mistakes made anytime . And it was Hooper who had the job share , after Rob Callister  got moved on very quickly , between Dept of Health and DoE. What a brains trust that must have been 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Nobody takes the hit for ANY mistakes made anytime . And it was Hooper who had the job share , after Rob Callister  got moved on very quickly , between Dept of Health and DoE. What a brains trust that must have been 

finger must point to Mr P and the motorsport division , and after Vision 9 he should have used up all his 9 lives by now , time for a clear out and get someone in with a passion for the TT   and  a better understanding of local involvement in the greater  tourism economy and not just what suits him and the mates 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Twitch said:

Surely the Minister and CEO of DFE need to be accountable. The Minister ultimately responsible for all activities in any case. This isn't the only cock-up under Lewin's watch either. The department is so dysfunctional I don't think it matters who the minister is but Johnston seems particularly lightweight.

15 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Tim Johnston was only appointed in January 2023 and before that there was only a shared post between Dept of Health and DoE . Lewin was the CEO though . Also there had been 4 ministers I think from 2021. And I agree. Totally dysfunctional with seemingly no accountability or limit on their expenditure .  

Sounds to me like the person who really needs to resign is Lewin. Until the CEOs of dysfunctional departments are held accountable, nothing is ever going to change regardless of how many department ministers resign or get sacked.

Getting rid of ministers is shuffling deck chairs while the ship is sinking, when they should be fixing the engine. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Sounds to me like the person who really needs to resign is Lewin. Until the CEOs of dysfunctional departments are held accountable, nothing is ever going to change regardless of how many department ministers resign or get sacked.

Getting rid of ministers is shuffling deck chairs while the ship is sinking, when they should be fixing the engine. 

How is a senior CS removed from his or her post though. Clearly gross misconduct etc yes but anything else just doesn’t happen. 

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

How is a senior CS removed from his or her post though. Clearly gross misconduct etc yes but anything else just doesn’t happen. 

If Lewin had any self-respect he'd resign. What's stopping MHKs calling for him to do so? Is there a rule against them doing so, or is it just a case of "it's not the 'done' thing"?

Just now, Numbnuts said:

Think revenue stream and benefits in staying…that’s why. . 

Are you saying thats why he wouldn't resign?

Is there any reason why MHKs can't put the pressure on and call for his resignation? Maybe if MHKs made more noise about CEOs making a mess of things, the CEOs might be a bit more careful about ensuring due diligence has been carried out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Are you saying thats why he wouldn't resign?

Is there any reason why MHKs can't put the pressure on and call for his resignation? Maybe if MHKs made more noise about CEOs making a mess of things, the CEOs might be a bit more careful about ensuring due diligence has been carried out. 

In my opinion , and I think not just mine , the MHK’s are totally dependent on the CS and the CS know this. They have incredible power and on top of that CEO’s a salary in the region of 120k upwards . What do most of MHK’s really know about the workings of departments ? Very little I would say.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

In my opinion , and I think not just mine , the MHK’s are totally dependent on the CS and the CS know this. They have incredible power and on top of that CEO’s a salary in the region of 120k upwards . What do most of MHK’s really know about the workings of departments ? Very little I would say.

But surely they know enough to understand losing £160,000+ of taxpayers money due to a lack of due diligence means the CEO is incompetent? Why do we allow incompetent people to hold power over us? Why do we give in to bullies? Why can't we at least fine the incompetence? Maybe that would sharpen a few minds. 

I just don't understand why senior civil servants are bullet-proof. Something's got to give and I'm sick and tired of it always being ordinary people who do the giving.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I just don't understand why senior civil servants are bullet-proof. Something's got to give and I'm sick and tired of it always being ordinary people who do the giving.  

Is it possible for a civil servant to be demoted, rather than moving relentlessly up a standard pay spine regardless of performance, and if so has it ever actually happened? Or do they just get shifted sideways (or even upwards) to make them somebody else's problem?