Best before bottled beer information

The Voice of Reason

Is it just me?

When you buy bottled beer often it says “ best before see neck of the bottle”

So you look at the neck of the bottle. Can’t see anything. Turn it round and round until you see some small inky  lettering. Hold it up to a naked light bulb until you can  try and make it out, not helped by the background of the beer itself and make a best guess what the date is

Maybe it’s just me and my failing eyesight but surely this is unacceptable.

As a consequence I only buy beer where the best before date is printed on the label itself.

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

Should've gone to specsavers... 

Well you say that but even those with perfect vision would have difficulty reading the tiny blurred best before dates on he neck of the bottle.

I suppose the upside is that if you are having a house party you can  fob the out of date beer on your guests and they will never know.

( unless they die of course, which is unlikely)

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Is it just me?

So you look at the neck of the bottle. Can’t see anything. Turn it round and round until you see some small inky  lettering. Hold it up to a naked light bulb until you can  try and make it out, not helped by the background of the beer itself and make a best guess what the date is

As a consequence I only buy beer where the best before date is printed on the label itself.

Maybe check before you start drinking…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you say that but even those with perfect vision would have difficulty reading the tiny blurred best before dates on he neck of the bottle.

I suppose the upside is that if you are having a house party you can  fob the out of date beer on your guests and they will never know.

( unless they die of course, which is unlikely)

I think the 'Best Before' date with beer just means it's not guaranteed to taste as the brewer intended beyond that date. Especially with a tinned beer. I've a case of bottled 330ml Carlsberg Export from last xmas, now 3 months past the BB date but have every intention of necking them whilst preparing the feast on the day. What can possibly go wrong? @alpha-acid

2 hours ago, quilp said:

I think the 'Best Before' date with beer just means it's not guaranteed to taste as the brewer intended beyond that date. Especially with a tinned beer. I've a case of bottled 330ml Carlsberg Export from last xmas, now 3 months past the BB date but have every intention of necking them whilst preparing the feast on the day. What can possibly go wrong? @alpha-acid

I heard some chap on the kitchen cabinet programme on radio 4 saying that canned beer keeps better than bottled.

So hopefully we will still be hearing from you in the New Year

Carlsberg Export - WTF !🙂

On 11/24/2022 at 8:36 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Is it just me?

Maybe not shop in places that sell beer with questionable dates would help the issue.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:59 PM, quilp said:

With macro beers like this would you really notice the difference? 😂

On 11/25/2022 at 2:26 AM, The Voice of Reason said:

I heard some chap on the kitchen cabinet programme on radio 4 saying that canned beer keeps better than bottled.

Heard the opposite the other day. Depends who you listen to I guess.

As a Merchandise Replenishment Operative in a local supermarket, may I say that the bbe dates are usually quite long.  I don't drink now, but when I did, I never had beer out of date, usually because I drank the stuff on the day of purchase. Just to be on the safe side, buy from the front because stock rotation is a myth as it's all computorized ordering nowadays.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, rodders said:

As a Merchandise Replenishment Operative in a local supermarket, may I say that the bbe dates are usually quite long.  I don't drink now, but when I did, I never had beer out of date, usually because I drank the stuff on the day of purchase. Just to be on the safe side, buy from the front because stock rotation is a myth as it's all computorized ordering nowadays.

I don’t understand your  last statement.Drinking on the day of purchase sounds fine. But the stuff on the front’s best before/use by is usually earlier than the stuff at the back. 
So by contorting yourself to get to the stuff at the back you give yourself a better option. Unless you sprain some part of your body by doing so, which has nearly happened to me.

On 11/25/2022 at 2:26 AM, The Voice of Reason said:

Canned be can be better it does not suffer from Sun Struck flavour defects, depending on of course the can was actually canned with minimum Oxygen ingress which is doubtful in a lot of beer caning machines. Bottles tend to suffer less from Oxygen problems and should be OK if in a Brown bottle, clear bottles avoid at all costs

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

Canned be can be better it does not suffer from Sun Struck flavour defects, depending on of course the can was actually canned with minimum Oxygen ingress which is doubtful in a lot of beer caning machines. Bottles tend to suffer less from Oxygen problems and should be OK if in a Brown bottle, clear bottles avoid at all costs

What type of bottles does Newcastle Brown ale come in...