Pele

The Voice of Reason

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2022 at 5:11 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Well it’s not that bad. He did retire from football, what about 50 years ago? and it’s kept going. 

He was brilliant though.

He was up there but the best is subjective. Puskas and Di Stefano spring to mind. My old man told me the best player he ever saw was Tom Finney ( and he was at Hampden to see Real beat Eintracht 7-3 ). I suppose it depends on eras and nationality. Was Pele better than Maradona? Or vice versa? And why only strikers or goal scoring midfielders. What about the sheer brilliance of Franz Beckenbauer or the peerless Bobby Moore? Goalies - was Banks better than than Russian chap who’s name escapes me. Lev ? 

On 2/6/2023 at 2:46 AM, Anyone said:

He was up there but the best is subjective. Puskas and Di Stefano spring to mind. My old man told me the best player he ever saw was Tom Finney ( and he was at Hampden to see Real beat Eintracht 7-3 ). I suppose it depends on eras and nationality. Was Pele better than Maradona? Or vice versa? And why only strikers or goal scoring midfielders. What about the sheer brilliance of Franz Beckenbauer or the peerless Bobby Moore? Goalies - was Banks better than than Russian chap who’s name escapes me. Lev ? 

You can only play against the players of the time, and so can only really be compared with them.  Comparing different eras to identify 'the best of all time' is the subject of much pub talk, and I've done it a lot myself, but it's basically subjective and biased opinion.

It's safe to say that Pele was one of the greatest players of his time, and has certainly become one of the most iconic players of all time.

17 hours ago, wrighty said:

You can only play against the players of the time, and so can only really be compared with them.  Comparing different eras to identify 'the best of all time' is the subject of much pub talk, and I've done it a lot myself, but it's basically subjective and biased opinion.

It's safe to say that Pele was one of the greatest players of his time, and has certainly become one of the most iconic players of all time.

This is a fantastic point . Take tennis. Was Laver better than Federer? What knows with different eras with different racquets. My view? Both were peerless , they were champions of their time. Had they coincided I bet we’d have some great games. I think great sportsman know that unlike us mortals. For what it’s worth Laver for me , or Fed lol