Chris Thomas MHK sacked from DOI

Chris Thomas MHK has been sacked as DOI Minister by Chief Minister Cannan with the news being announced this morning. 

What was the tipping point? Airport or Liverpool Ferry Terminal? 

Who will take on the poisoned chalice, or who is brave enough? CM Cannan claims the Department is in need of reform. Alf Cannan was previously a Treasury Minister and COMIN member so was in position to influence and encourage reform but did nothing. What’s the barriers to reform, political inertia or civil servants with various agendas?

Finally will Chris Thomas be quiet or be a one man opposition? Before he got involved in being a COMIN member he was a normal freethinking person, then the political blob got a hold of him. 

Cannan’s said he’s taking it on himself. Clearly can’t find anyone else to do it.

Thomas has done himself no favours by toeing the DOI official line. The issues clearly predate him, so he had a free swing at them and he did…nothing. Not even bright enough to have a pop at Reynolds and Nick Black and blame them for everything.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What’s the barriers to reform, political inertia or civil servants with various agendas?

Good question. One hopes that the cycles of incompetence will not be allowed to continue in perpetuity until there are no more potential DoI ministers (already sounds a bit like that). Therefore the the longer the resistance to reform has lasted, the bigger the political bulldozer that will now need to be driven through the barriers. Hopefully Alf knows where to go with his 'dozer. We'll see,

49 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Let's tot up the political victim count now for the DOI. Gawne, Harmer, Baker, Crookall got the hell out just in time and now Thomas. I think that's all or are there any others?

It would be interesting to get their combined views on where the bulldozer should be aimed. Hopefully Alf has had the sense to do so.

Like Caligula, my money is on one of the Tram Horses being appointed to the run the Dept.   Probably do a good job to be honest and I bet they are happy with the lines going no further. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

One question I would pose is - Did CM Cannan ask ex Minister Thomas to do something that he wouldn’t do as he felt uncomfortable with? Was there an argument or disagreement? Is there another issue relating to the DOI that the GMP are not aware of?

The press release was embargoed for 9 am today, so was Chris Thomas relieved of his duties last Thursday after the COMIN meeting? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Like Caligula, my money is on one of the Tram Horses being appointed to the run the Dept.   Probably do a good job to be honest and I bet they are happy with the lines going no further. 

To be honest, the Trammers couldn’t make any worse of the job could they? They could manage appearing on the Moanin Line …….. neiggggh bother, and you can pay them in feed. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Hooper next hopefully.

....and no, I've no idea who I'd choose to succeed him. The gene pool is pretty shallow unfortunately.

Oh my god, I read that and thought you wanted Hooper in charge of DoI!!!!

• Haha 4

The problem with Chris Thomas is that he thinks and proposes but does not take the necessary action. A classic case of talking the talk but not walking the walk. To make matters worse, instead of grasping recent issues he has just made excuses for his Department and stopped even the talking the talk bit. 
The CM is right. DoI needs to be reformed and broken up into manageable pieces and then actually managed. It’s about time that the CM actually emerged into the limelight and showing the mettle he promised. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

The problem with Chris Thomas is that he thinks and proposes but does not take the necessary action. A classic case of talking the talk but not walking the walk. To make matters worse, instead of grasping recent issues he has just made excuses for his Department and stopped even the talking the talk bit. 
The CM is right. DoI needs to be reformed and broken up into manageable pieces and then actually managed. It’s about time that the CM actually emerged into the limelight and showing the mettle he promised. 

Many in the CS need their wings clipped if not shown the door. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, forestboy said:

Many in the CS need their wings clipped if not shown the door. 

The problem is succession in there - even if you took out the main heads the culture of arrogance and laziness is that bad in there that even the next in line will have been tainted by the culture. It’s an absolute basket case. 

• Thanks 1