A P&O situation looming in the IOMSPCo?

The Listening Ear

24 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Let's see if Brian Thomson ends up in a Simon Thompson situation 

Well I’m sure he won’t be grilled in Tynwald as Simon Thompson was in Parliament as this IOM administration don’t appear have a backbone… that or they are totally in league with the shore management of the Steam Packet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Listening Ear said:

Well I’m sure he won’t be grilled in Tynwald as Simon Thompson was in Parliament as this IOM administration don’t appear have a backbone… that or they are totally in league with the shore management of the Steam Packet.

I must agree with you there, especially Dr A’s responses. I wonder if any of the officers are in his Ramsey constituency and if they will vote him back in after how he appears to me misinformed and spouting it out in Tynwald.

1 minute ago, Silk Worm said:

I must agree with you there, especially Dr A’s responses. I wonder if any of the officers are in his Ramsey constituency and if they will vote him back in after how he appears to me misinformed and spouting it out in Tynwald.

I doubt given the total tripe that has been spouted by a number of MHK’s they will be re-elected. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Listening Ear said:

I doubt given the total tripe that has been spouted by a number of MHK’s they will be re-elected. 

Well I certainly hope not, given how misinformed he has been and then gone out to tynwald to state as fact. I’d like to believe that his advisors fact check before writing his speech, however it appears not.

It is such a shame that public representatives do not check with their constituents after they approach them with their concerns, I know this as a friend of mine who is a Ramsey resident did approach both of their MHK’S about this matter many months ago and was rebuffed and since industrial action was initiated has not been reached out to.

Edited by Silk Worm

4 minutes ago, Silk Worm said:

Well I certainly hope not, give how misinformed he’s has been and then gone out to tynwald to state as fact. I’d have like to believe that his advisors fact check before writing his speech, however it appears not.

It is such a shame that public representatives do not check with their constituents after they approached them with their concerns, I know this as a friend of mine who is a Ramsey resident did approach both of their MHK’S about this matter many months ago and was rebuffed and since industrial action was initiated has not been reached out to.

Doesn’t surprise me to be honest. Only a couple of MHK’s appear to have listened to their constituents concerns and that seems to be Juan Watterson, Chris Thomas and Michelle Heywood. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Silk Worm said:

Well there’s only 30 total who voted for a strike so even if they all lived in Ramsey it would have little impact on the vote, you’re obviously a union official or officer in union 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunson Hooneydew said:

At least when P&O did their ‘fire and rehire’ they offered redundancy. This is their Xmas gift of a simple fire.

No, it’s accept the new conditions or be made redundant. Redundancy payment as per contract.

P&O only offered enhanced redundancy because they’d broken the law by failing to consult. The Steam Packet have consulted. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well there’s only 30 total who voted for a strike so even if they all lived in Ramsey it would have little impact on the vote

Well exactly.

Most people don’t give a toss either way. I just want a reliable and cost effective ferry service. The ferry company management think this is the best way to achieve that. I have no idea if they are right or not, but given the Steam Packet crew’s incessant whining during Covid (despite getting preferential conditions compared to Mezeron crew and Loganair crew) I can well imagine they probably are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Anyone in employment, anywhere, should be concerned about fire and rehire

They should be, yes, but ultimately the employer has all the cards. If they want your job to change then that means the old job is redundant. If you don’t accept the change then you go with the old job.

Employers do it all the time. Asda did it to their staff not so long ago. So did British Gas.

Live A board.

Favour or opposition to this would depend on where the crew are normally domiciled?

If they live in the IoM/Liverpool/ Heysham areas they are less likely to support Live Aboard, they can get home for the night, if they are say, East European/ Philipeno then live aboard is attractive to them, they can't get Home!

It's difficult to follow the Treasury support for Live Aboard given the above explanation that 75% of the crew have to be Manx employees?

They may say that the SP is 'arms legnth' but the latest utterences from the Treasury would sound like that they have taken sides in this dispute?

Right or wrong? It'll take ten years and a Govt inquiry to find out!!!

37 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

No, it’s accept the new conditions or be made redundant. Redundancy payment as per contract.

P&O only offered enhanced redundancy because they’d broken the law by failing to consult. The Steam Packet have consulted. 

Yes. The thread title is deliberately misleading. It isn't a similar case at all because the P&O staff had no option of continued employment on good pay.

• Like 1