Nitrogen execution

wrighty

15 hours ago, Gladys said:

The deterrent argument is fundamentally flawed.  If capital punishment was an effective deterrent, there would have been very few murders whilst it was a punishment.  It is state revenge, pure and simple. 

Forget about deterrents for violent crimes; they do not work.  Much better to argue that the punishment is about revenge, retribution or redress, nothing more.

I'm not squeamish, Gladys. Call it what you will. I do know that the reoffending rate for executed criminals is comfortingly zero.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Quite clearly the people carrying out the execution have been given the right 

And who is to say that nobody has the right to do this anyway? To which higher authority are we deferring? Society make its own rules in the interests of the majority.

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

And who is to say that nobody has the right to do this anyway? To which higher authority are we deferring? Society make its own rules in the interests of the majority.

Sometimes. It'd be in the interests of the majority to execute most of the billionaires and redistribute their wealth, but we don't do that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Wealthy = murderer. Interesting take on morality.

That's not what my post says. It says redistributing the wealth would be in the interests of the majority.

Though most billionaires have caused a lot of suffering. Not sure how you'd compare that to murdering, mind.

26 minutes ago, woolley said:

There is no higher authority and in the absence of one I don't think we should defer to the likes of Donald Trump, Suella Braverman or Alf Cannon. Ultimately, the decision to execute someone will always come down to limited number of people  not society - and they'll be fallible. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gladys said:

However, as seems to be the case in the US, once given the death sentence, just do it without the interminable appeals and delay or do not have it as a punishment at all.  If a state is confident that its justice system is robust and will always deliver the correct verdict, just get on with it. 

Prisons in the US are practically businesses. They get money from the state for however many they have incarcerated, and also make a bit on the side through using prisoners as slave labour.
So it's worth keeping as many prisoners alive, as long as possible. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I'm not squeamish, Gladys. Call it what you will. I do know that the reoffending rate for executed criminals is comfortingly zero.

And the reincarnation rate for anyone executed following an incorrect conviction is uncomfortably zero also. 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And the reincarnation rate for anyone executed following an incorrect conviction is uncomfortably zero also. 

You're taking the same disingenuous line as Helix. Plenty of cases have no doubt at all.