More housing at Ballasalla

Moghrey Mie

2 hours ago, asitis said:

......... and the Dr's got pissed off and well, pissed off !

LOL .

I find it surprising no one thought of these unintended consequences !

I find it very disappointing and somewhat alarming that no one thought of these unintended consequences !

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 1:23 PM, Happier diner said:

I find it very disappointing and somewhat alarming that no one thought of these unintended consequences !

Oh they did think of it but they just don't care. Seeing the same in Ramsey. Building hundreds of new homes to the north of town and not a single shop, nursery, pub or park (well a postage stamp for a dog toilet adopted by the commisoners) built.

• Like 4

I don't pretend to know what the answer to our housing 'crisis' is but if we are buying/renting these recent builds, does that not indicate a 'need' for these developments???

Could be that in a few years time these people will realise that it is better to be closer to Douglas if that is their work place.

In the meantime, these north south houses can give them a foot on the ladder to future upgrades/locations???

Has an independent inquiry looked at our situation and found it to be different to the Western World ???

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I don't pretend to know what the answer to our housing 'crisis' is but if we are buying/renting these recent builds, does that not indicate a 'need' for these developments???

Could be that in a few years time these people will realise that it is better to be closer to Douglas if that is their work place.

In the meantime, these north south houses can give them a foot on the ladder to future upgrades/locations???

Has an independent inquiry looked at our situation and found it to be different to the Western World ???

You think moving to Douglas is an upgrade?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

In the meantime, these north south houses can give them a foot on the ladder to future upgrades/locations.

As I mentioned in my earlier post a lot of people who live in this estate work in Ballasalla or the South. Also for a renter Douglas has become a joke I'd be lucky if £1300 a month would get me more that a damp old two bed terrace in Douglas.

11 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Oh they did think of it but they just don't care. Seeing the same in Ramsey. Building hundreds of new homes to the north of town and not a single shop, nursery, pub or park (well a postage stamp for a dog toilet adopted by the commisoners) built.

Well at least we don't need a dog toilet in Ballasalla, we have Langness !

16 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Yes the title is Housing and Communities Board but we don't see much of the community aspect in new developments. More like houses in fields.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I am still at a loss (nothing new) if the population is not growing and the demand for social housing is growing year on year who is buying all these new builds?, where are they all coming from.

People moving from flats to houses and from old to new houses?

46 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I am still at a loss (nothing new) if the population is not growing and the demand for social housing is growing year on year who is buying all these new builds?, where are they all coming from.

"Families" now consisting of 1/2/3 members, instead of the previous 4/5/6++?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

People may prefer to buy new builds that come with a 10 year guarantee... there's plenty of older houses for sale but young people may find it slightly less difficult to get a mortgage on a new build, rather than an old one that harbours all kinds of issues 

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So let me get this right there are hundreds if not thousands of older empty properties just sitting there.

Thousands according to the Census:

As at the 30th/31st May 2021, a total of 5,695 residential properties were recorded as being vacant. This figure includes flats, houses, and cottages used as holiday accommodation, but excludes hotels and other commercial properties.

The vast majority of these will have been older properties because the vast majority of properties are.