Pavement Parking

Dirty Buggane

....'''

50 idle twunts parking on prom walkway tonight, ;;...

All in Matchams or the Gaiety no doubt!

Did you photo the reg plates? copy to the police? Let their tyres down? Would have made your nights activity worthwhile shirley???😃

10 hours ago, finlo said:

People will be hounded to death all in the name of revenue.

Why? Everyone has a choice. People are lazy. There is no need to break the law. 

I think some of the double yellow lines need to be reviewed though. Some of the restrictions are ridiculous. They are ridiculous and ignored by drivers and the parking controllers. Just have a look around Tracey Bell area. Crazy. 

Appropriate restrictions. Properly enforced. Its not complicated.

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

....'''

50 idle twunts parking on prom walkway tonight, ;;...

All in Matchams or the Gaiety no doubt!

Did you photo the reg plates? copy to the police? Let their tyres down? Would have made your nights activity worthwhile shirley???😃

With practically every 1 in 4 of the population receiving a pension that's no surprise to me - especially near the Gaiety.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/almost-1-in-4-residents-are-pensioners/

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It just shows how every revenue stream is being chased, lots of these fines just used to be let go.

I remember a certain Onchan builder leaving his truck on double yellows outside the old Riley's premises on North Quay on a Christmas Eve when he went to the Bridge pub and didn't recover it until the New Year by which time the windscreen was plastered with parking tickets. To the best of my knowledge none of them were pursued or paid.

Sorry but why would you have knowledge of whether the tickets were pursued or paid?

I didn’t think such information is publicly available.

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It just shows how every revenue stream is being chased, lots of these fines just used to be let go.

I remember a certain Onchan builder leaving his truck on double yellows outside the old Riley's premises on North Quay on a Christmas Eve when he went to the Bridge pub and didn't recover it until the New Year by which time the windscreen was plastered with parking tickets. To the best of my knowledge none of them were pursued or paid.

I did not know they even had parking controllers in that era, or would be working over the holidays.

Posted (edited)

Wait till we get the great mosaic paving stone art of Mannanin's donkey, of which you will not be able to see unless they start balloon rides as a revenue stream. You will not be allowed to walk on the walkway.

Also see they have removed the plant from the beach as they have proved they tried to lower the sand with a JCB tractor, the large bladed grader seemed to have been parked for effect as never seen it move apart from loading on low loader for transport away. Pretty sure it could of made some serious headway in just pushing sand and shingle further down the beach thus allowing sea wall to perform as was intended but NO, we tried and see the wall is the only option. Oh and price has now gone up which will be a surprise as it has already been cast/fabricated for over 6 months. Just watch how fast it will be delivered. 

Edited by Dirty Buggane

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sorry but why would you have knowledge of whether the tickets were pursued or paid?

I didn’t think such information is publicly available.

Because I worked in Douglas at the time and witnessed the park up, it was around 20 years ago.

I worked between Xmas and the New Year of the time concerned and saw the vehicle on a daily basis, gathering tickets on double yellows right outside what was the old Hundleby's newsagents. I also happened  to know a guy who worked for said builder and mentioned it to him a few months later, he advised me that his boss just binned the tickets because they knew it was too much like hard work to get anything out of him and he had no intention of paying them.

Feast your eyes on this news article from only a couple of years ago.

Screenshot_20240324-193659_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
screenshot

On 3/23/2024 at 8:55 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I think that might be the understatement of the year 😀

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/1-5-million-collected-in-fines-and-fixed-penalty-notices/

As I've said before, this government has fast become public enemy number one. 

They will still have a huge amount of outstanding. The last figure was around £800K. The thing I find surprising about any arrears is that three times in the last 18 months I’ve been chased for fines and payments I’ve made across the counter at the court house. The last was rates that I paid that I then had to show a copy of the bank statement to prove I paid them. If that’s just one person then given the number of people who have worked there that have been done for nicking money I’d have expected that as part of this collection process they’ve also done an investigation to make sure they haven’t got another load of tea leaves there pocketing fines and payments and that’s where some of the arrears might sit. 

Edited by Kevlar

On 3/24/2024 at 9:12 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

With practically every 1 in 4 of the population receiving a pension that's no surprise to me - especially near the Gaiety.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/almost-1-in-4-residents-are-pensioners/

It's not really comparing like with like though.  The FoI (ref 3704258) says "In February 2024 the total number of individuals who were paid a state pension by the Isle of Man Treasury was 20,651" and 3FM goes on to compare it with the 2021 Census population (84,069) to get 24.6%.  But if you look at the actual age list in the Census, the number of the those over 66 (the then current pension age) was only 17,568 or 20.9%.  The reason is that many who receive a Manx state pension do not live on the Island - and that pension may only be related to a few years work here and so not that great.

So if it's one of them who has left their car outside the Gaiety, it's going to be there a while.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here I go again, 50 odd cars parked on walkway at war memorial last night (no doubt due to the drizzle) If they are going to allow parking they should at least mark it out and have clear pedestrians walking zones to use. Throw in some disabled parking while they are at it, sooner or later it will become the norm and we end up with another bus station debacle. This is my own opinion and is no way influenced by alcohol or caffeine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Here I go again, 50 odd cars parked on walkway at war memorial last night (no doubt due to the drizzle) If they are going to allow parking they should at least mark it out and have clear pedestrians walking zones to use. Throw in some disabled parking while they are at it, sooner or later it will become the norm and we end up with another bus station debacle. This is my own opinion and is no way influenced by alcohol or caffeine.

Why not work as a traffic warden? You'd get a hat and everything...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

In that case, I suggest you start drinking...