Steve Harley RIP

Jarndyce

Sorry to hear that Steve Harley had died.   He had been ill for some time, website mentioned “fighting a nasty cancer”.

He produced more music than people realised, toured extensively, guested on other people’s albums - but if he’s only remembered for Make Me Smile, I guess that would do for most…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68590846

• Like 1

Sad news. I had tickets to see him Sunday TT (2017 I think). But I had to go to the UK for work that day.

But guess who was playing in the local pub south of Birmingham the same night I arrived. His son - I kid you not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Sad news. I had tickets to see him Sunday TT (2017 I think). But I had to go to the UK for work that day.

But guess who was playing in the local pub south of Birmingham the same night I arrived. His son - I kid you not.

I think it was a bit longer ago than 2017 Albert. Can't remember the year but it would've been before then when he last played the Villa. I was trying to remember if the original Cockney Rebel played the Lido in '73/74. Can anyone recall ?

6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I think it was a bit longer ago than 2017 Albert. Can't remember the year but it would've been before then when he last played the Villa. I was trying to remember if the original Cockney Rebel played the Lido in '73/74. Can anyone recall ?

Ah...you're right - prob much earlier now I think about it.

44 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

21st July 1974.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I think it was '74 that he played the Lido, I was that impressed that I went to see him at the Villa in 2006 too on his return visit! He was appealing for those who were there first time, there weren't many of us!

When I lived in the UK, he often played Sunday nights in a pub in Halstead, Essex, which was only a few miles away from me, I never went for some reason!

Edited by Max Power

I recall that 2006 one when he did the Villa , he was very good indeed , played 2 sets I recall ( one of Cockney Rebel and one of his later material that was also high quality ). Also told a funny story about a gig in Dublin where he was called to play come up and see me very early in the gig. Also recall he said he never went away and that writing songs and performing were basically his life blood , what he lived for. He was a quality performer and very appreciative of his fans. A gent and his songs will live on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to finish the Dublin story he told - when asked to play come up and see me early by an Irish wag he said ‘if I play it now you’ll all leave’ to which the Irish wag replied ‘then play it twice’. I’m sure most at the 2006 gig will remember that one.