Simple Poll - Are you fed up enough to consider leaving the Island for good?

Weliveinhope

Simple Poll - Are you fed up enough to consider leaving the Island for good?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I think the lack of rentals is being viewed the wrong way.

A shortage of supply drives the price up and therefore the profits.

Not really. That's what most of us are complaining about...government strangling supply.

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not really. That's what most of us are complaining about...government strangling supply.

Have they?

What are the numbers?

Just now, P.K. said:

Have they?

What are the numbers?

Shoddy. Look at them, year on year. Need another 5000 properties here.

All types...but at least 1000 apartments. 2000 × 2 bedroom... plus.

Demand is there, supply not.

So folks think that government should be building houses?

Probably fair as they're the ones whose policies have been so poor they need around 10k more economically active folks just to balance the books.

But if I had been asked if I was OK with more and more people coming over I would have said NO.

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So folks think that government should be building houses?

Probably fair as they're the ones whose policies have been so poor they need around 10k more economically active folks just to balance the books.

But if I had been asked if I was OK with more and more people coming over I would have said NO.

No! For the thousandth time the size of government needs to tally with the size of the population not the other way around!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Who is that then?  There are virtually no properties to let.  This is half the mystery of the problem at the moment.  There are loads of properties being built and sold.  But few of them are for or to first time buyers or the rental market. 

Just take a look at any of the local sites for accommodation.  Every day there are people moving over or intending to for jobs and can't find anywhere to rent.  Or if you see an ad for a rental, within minutes it seems to be gone or twenty people tagged. 

If Govt want to increase the population or returning students, they need to increase the rental market.  Very few people would come here initially and buy a property straightaway. 

They need to cap the feckin rents first 

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Just planning our TT Escape.

Car + 2 an eye-watering £587 return...

Really? Bloody hell. They normally give (relatively) reasonable rates for going against the flow at TT. I think we paid £232 for car + 2 last year.

12 hours ago, PeachTea said:

Yes - I have previously lived on the island and left 14 years ago . I returned back to live on the island again a couple of years back as my family all live here ( I am not Manx).

Despite finding a job which pays me a fair wage for the role and being closer to my family I regret moving back. I do not believe the island has progressed in anyway since I left back in 2007 , if anything things have gone downhill.  The main areas I am struggling to tolerate include:-

• Cost of services/ - for example, telecoms, utilities 
  • Living costs - rental costs have always been high on the island however they have spiralled to unacceptable levels. As i said earlier i earn a fair wage for my role yet i am still spending 40% of my income on rental costs and 25/30% of living ( ie bills, food, fuel, - the basics that i need to get by). 
  • The state of the roads . I have been driving over 10 years now and since returning i have had to replace 7 tyres. 2 of which just  needed replacing due to wear and tear however the other 5 i attribute to the piss poor maintenance of the roads. 
  • The 2% tax increase . This will have a negative impact on my income. I am really unhappy about the increase and despite what Allinson says i do NOT believe for one minute this is a temporary measure nor do i believe that this money will be ringfenced for Manx Care.  If i could be sure that it would be I would be unhappy about the increase but accept it is very much needed.
  • Cost of the Ferry/ Flights and lack of reliability - Whilst i appreciate we have had some shocking weather this winter i cant ever recall the boat being cancelled as frequently. The costs for a car and a passenger are ludicrous . I personally think £300+ for a return journey is much too expensive. Given the SP are owned by the IOMG they should not be trying to profit. I also believe that residents should be entitled to a cheaper fare with residents providing proof that they are indeed a resident of the island. This could be done at the point of booking - for example uploading a letter with a name/address on or a driver licence ( the former could be shown at check in). it could also work in a similar fashion at the airport.  The Manxman is not fit for purpose. It seems to me that the ship will mostly be fine during the summer months when the seas are calmer which is great but not in winter. 

There are other issues which annoy me . (Appreciate that these may not factor for a lot of people but they add to the " reasons to not live on the island list)

• limited banking choices. I miss having a Monzo account. I like the set up and the option of having multiple "pots" to put money into. 
  • Poor shopping choices. This is both groceries wise ( i miss Aldi/Lidl) as well as other shops ( clothes, shoes, electricals, home furnishing shops)
  • Driving standards. I don't know why there seems to be so many drivers on the IOM that don't understand the basics of driving. Bugbears include: lack of indication, not using headlights in foggy conditions,  giving way to drivers on the left so everyone sits like a knob waiting to see who makes the first move, drivers who seem to have to overtake no matter what, drivers who just drive at 30mph and slow down to 15mph every corner. 
  • Lack of other facilities - a modern cinema, bowling alley ( the one in Ramsey is rubbish and smells of chip fat), other indoor activities for when the weather is dire.

Not much in it with utilities. Electricity the same when you take in the lower standing charge. Generally water much cheaper here for now. Gas and telecoms, yes, granted.

Rates a bit cheaper still than UK though catching up fast, and no single occupancy discount here. Groceries and motoring similar cost (+ about 3% at Tesco!), but eating out and housing more expensive.

The roads, I tend to see the opposite. The potholes here seem to be huge bloody craters over there, but I accept it varies area to area. Also, I know where they are here and they often come as a shock elsewhere.

Don't think it's at all realistic to expect the govt to buy the SPCo and not take a profit, although the way they are going they might just achieve it as an unlikely own goal. Certainly wouldn't surprise me if they took over a £10 million pound a year profitable monopoly and turned it into a basket case in a couple of years even when owning it at arms length. They seem to have the reverse Midas touch to an extent you couldn't make up. Anyway, don't expect discounts for sure! I think the Manxman will be fine. She's great to sail on.

Banking, shopping choices, yep, but we are a small jurisdiction of 85,000 on a remote island, so it is what it is.

Driving is dire everywhere, and getting worse. I honestly don't think it's any worse here than in the UK. Try Spain!

Tax increase. Yes, but we all know which nettle needs to be firmly grasped there.

Lack of various activities. Again, small remote population. At one time it was ameliorated by a busy summer season that kept leisure facilities going all year. Now not so much, and businesses are reliant on the residents in hard times. It's tough, but leisure and hospitality outlets are closing every day in the UK too. Cinema patronage is down by a third since Covid. A brave investor it would be to put money into anything hospitality sector in the 2020s.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, woolley said:

Really? Bloody hell. They normally give (relatively) reasonable rates for going against the flow at TT. I think we paid £232 for car + 2 last year.

Last time we flew back on Sleazy it was £25.99. The taxi airport to gaff was £40 made up of £31 fare, £5 airport pickup (Peel Ports wizard rip-off wheeze) and tip ie more than the air fare!

Obviously IOMG need to milk the Racket to help paper over the cracks in their finances but fares like that are just not competitive and piss people off. Especially as we all know the boats IOM -> UK will be quite empty.

If you don't believe it try booking a sailing 2 days before TT and return 3 days after. Obviously some Brain of Britain thinks they can charge TT rates for folks who want nothing whatever to do with it.

Idiots...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Last time we flew back on Sleazy it was £25.99. The taxi airport to gaff was £40 made up of £31 fare, £5 airport pickup (Peel Ports wizard rip-off wheeze) and tip ie more than the air fare!

Obviously IOMG need to milk the Racket to help paper over the cracks in their finances but fares like that are just not competitive and piss people off. Especially as we all know the boats IOM -> UK will be quite empty.

If you don't believe it try booking a sailing 2 days before TT and return 3 days after. Obviously some Brain of Britain thinks they can charge TT rates for folks who want nothing whatever to do with it.

Idiots...

Certainly won't be giving them the satisfaction at anything like that price.

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Just planning our TT Escape.

Car + 2 an eye-watering £587 return...

I just tried 28th May to 8th June as random dates and it returned £324. Big premium on last year, but a lot less than £587.

40 minutes ago, woolley said:

I just tried 28th May to 8th June as random dates and it returned £324. Big premium on last year, but a lot less than £587.

Useful info, thank you for doing that.

Now I have to figure out why I've got the figure I have...?

Oh gerfuck...!

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Useful info, thank you for doing that.

Now I have to figure out why I've got the figure I have...?

Oh gerfuck...!

Not heading in the wrong direction are you? Just a thought.............

• Haha 1