Government Department charges a Government Department ..

x-in-man

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The 43,000 estimated arrivals (technically departures) were for the total TT traffic.  It broke down to 19,257 by air and 24,015 by sea.  The overall total seems in line with the four previous surveys in 2015-2019[1], but the split looks higher for air.  This may be a change in visitor habits, but I suspect is more due to smaller sample sizes and poorer sampling techniques in 2023.

[1]  The 2022 figures don't seem to have been based on a passenger survey, so I'm ignoring them.

I stand corrected Roger, many thanks. However, the 19k+ still breaks down to over 63 full-to-capacity flights (assuming A319/320).

Their visitor figures are utter horseshit and have been for years. It was the same with the rail user figures a few years back too.

I suspect the differential between sea and air is because the ferry fares are going up and from our own observations the air fares are if anything going down.

We have also noticed that the IOMSPCo profiteering from the TT is now beginning earlier in April causing us to fly instead.

Edited by P.K.
Poor grammar

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

How can the Isle of Man possibly have 318,000 "visitors" in a year?  That's over 6,100 per week!

What's the definition of a "visitor"?  I assume it doesn't include returning Manx residents...

No, but it's practically everyone else.  I've discussed this at some length before and it includes those visiting friends and relatives and also business travellers.  

One thing that I would add is that 'business' travellers aren't just people in suits coming over to chat to their financial advisers.  A lot of them are those working on short-term jobs over here.  So if you're refitting Tesco for 18 weeks you count.  And if you fly/sail back home every weekend, you count as 18 visitors.  With labour shortages as they are on the Island, there will be a lot of people doing this - someone mentioned that Tesco were also having to bring in operating staff for example.

I was very sceptical about the 318,000 figure anyway when it was announced.  It claims that 'visitors' are increased over pre-pandemic, even though the total number travelling is down.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

How can the Isle of Man possibly have 318,000 "visitors" in a year?  That's over 6,100 per week!

What's the definition of a "visitor"?  I assume it doesn't include returning Manx residents...

they're counting website visits at a guess.

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No, but it's practically everyone else.  I've discussed this at some length before and it includes those visiting friends and relatives and also business travellers...

OK.

So treating 2023 figures like the 2018 figures, if you take out Manx residents and VFRs and BVs and around 40k(?) for the TT, that still leaves 100k - 120k visitors per year.

Even if you also exclude DVs (and I'm not sure if they should be or not) that still sounds like a lot of genuine "recreational visitors" or tourists - an average of around 2,000 per week throughout the year.

What do they find to do?

And how is the figure of 318,000 measured anyway?  Are there civil servants permanently stationed at the airport and the sea terminal surveying every single flight and sailing, and every single passenger?

On 4/15/2024 at 7:11 PM, code99 said:

That is really insightful and interesting. It makes me wonder how many tourists we actually have...(I won't bother submitting an FOI).

Don't forget the cruise ships who drop of a few people for 5 or 6 hours and the coach trips over for a day or two.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

what else can you expect when government produces and manipulates its own figures , apparently they do the same with their construction    and operating costs , its called creative accounting , and sadly non of our Tynwald members ever want to challenge their validity  or question  how the figures are reliably gathered 

at lease the UK has an office of national statistics  which claims to be independent  of government 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:40 PM, Ghost Ship said:

And how is the figure of 318,000 measured anyway?  Are there civil servants permanently stationed at the airport and the sea terminal surveying every single flight and sailing, and every single passenger?

Here's the relevant section from the 2023 TT Report:

Face-to-face interviews were conducted in the departure lounge and vehicle loading areas at the Sea Terminal and at Ronaldsway Airport outside the departure gate. Interviews were conducted to cover the period from 25th May to 25th June 2023. Results have been weighted by known passengers departing the Island within that period, with the apportioned number of residents interviewed removed from the figure to calculate overall results.

Only passengers recorded on scheduled departures were used in the analysis for this report, it does not include unscheduled departures such as charter flights, cruise ship passengers or pleasure craft.

They interview year-round, but do more over the TT period as they want to analyse the figures separately.  I think the interviewers aren't official civil servants but casual contract staff.

As with any sampling exercise, it matters just how interviewees are chosen and making sure it is representative of travellers as a whole.

• Thanks 1