2023 water report

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

You are an absolute twat and I do not use the word lightly the amount of crap that comes out of your mouth is unbelievable and I don’t care if I am put on the naughty step for saying this you are just a bad joke.

So no then? You made it up?

Like I said if it’s genuine that this happened locally then it needs to be made very public knowledge and would change my opinion.  As it stands all I know is that I know people who are in the sea every day who would say they have no negative effects.

I am not sure why you are so grumpy to be honest, when I am just asking for confirmation of what you claimed.

22 hours ago, cissolt said:

loads of young kids swimming in literal shit.

No. Sea water that might possibly be contaminated with sewage. You can't swim in shit, it's a solid. You could yomp on it I suppose.

The sewage that was seen last month was traced to a leak on the sewer pipe that was repaired. The MUA were 'mistaken' in their original assessment and admitted it. 

It's not a great situation but I have to agree with Crazy Dave....I mean Anthony Ingham that it seems it is going to be sorted. Eventually.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

As it stands all I know is that I know people who are in the sea every day who would say they have no negative effects.

99 times out of a 100 you would get away with swimming in sewage contaminated water. Now and again though people get very ill. The stuff contains pathogenic bacteria which can be harmful. Fortunately the levels detected are very low. 

The truth is halfway between your panacea and Fred's disaster. 

45 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

99 times out of a 100 you would get away with swimming in sewage contaminated water. Now and again though people get very ill. The stuff contains pathogenic bacteria which can be harmful. Fortunately the levels detected are very low. 

The truth is halfway between your panacea and Fred's disaster. 

No

The truth is as I said it.  If people want to read stuff that isn’t there than that is up to them.

Very few people go in the sea full stop.

Even fewer go into Peel or Laxey as they are known to be the least clean (note I didn’t say dirty or unsafe) on the island.

The water quality in those locations, as with all other, varies dependant on recent weather conditions and tide.  You wouldn’t see me swimming by the Mooragh after a lot of rain, the storm drains dump nasties in there (still In very small quantities)

An even smaller subset of the people who ever go into the sea do “training swims”. Probably less than 150 island wide.

Those who do “training swims” are normally bright enough to know where is higher risk, so you tend to see them in Ramsey rather than Peel or Laxey.

Even our poor quality water is cleaner than other places all over the world and probably even in the UK.

Therefore the number of people who are actually at a real risk is absolutely minuscule.  That doesn’t mean nobody ever gets ill, but it is a tiny risk which can be managed by the tiny number of people it impacts by choosing where and when they swim.

Finally, everything that can be done is currently being done to remove the tiny, tiny risk.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:39 PM, Anthony Ingham said:

How often to you hear of people being ill after having a paddle in the sea?

I have friends who are in the sea all around the island every day.

I am not sure they are mentally sound, because it’s bloody freezing, but they certainly suffer no negative physical effects.

We need to put things in perspective.  It’s not ideal in Peel or Laxey at the moment but it’s better than it was anywhere around the island or probably in the Uk 50 years ago, and certainly no worse than thousands of other places.  There will be people in the world who drink water worse than that every day and are OK.

Finally, and the biggest point is that people have the choice if they go on there or not and all the info is publicly and easily available.

Depends what you're doing.  Paddling, not a chance.  An adult leisurely swimming or brief cold water dip on a calm day, again pretty unlikely.  As soon as you do stuff where you're going to get water in your mouth or going to get bashed about such as surfing, proper sea swimming, water skiing etc then much more likely.  I've been sick twice from going in at Peel.  I know some guys that still surf there and haven't appeared to get dysentery. 

There was a triathlon in the UK last year where loads of the swimmers got sick after swimming through sewage. 

https://news.sky.com/story/dozens-of-swimmers-fall-ill-and-get-diarrhoea-at-sunderland-race-prompting-questions-over-sewage-discharges-12935329

• Thanks 2

On 4/20/2024 at 1:24 PM, Fred the shred said:

Yes notices should be put up warning that there is untreated waste and swim at your own risk.

I always thought that there was a notice put up in Peel . I think its in the noticeboard where they keep track of wildlife sightings which imo is a stupid place to put the notice in the first place. It should be on a sign on the actual beach rather than a noticeboard designated for wildlife updates. 

19 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

No

The truth is as I said it.  If people want to read stuff that isn’t there than that is up to them.

Very few people go in the sea full stop.

Even fewer go into Peel or Laxey as they are known to be the least clean (note I didn’t say dirty or unsafe) on the island.

The water quality in those locations, as with all other, varies dependant on recent weather conditions and tide.  You wouldn’t see me swimming by the Mooragh after a lot of rain, the storm drains dump nasties in there (still In very small quantities)

An even smaller subset of the people who ever go into the sea do “training swims”. Probably less than 150 island wide.

Those who do “training swims” are normally bright enough to know where is higher risk, so you tend to see them in Ramsey rather than Peel or Laxey.

Even our poor quality water is cleaner than other places all over the world and probably even in the UK.

Therefore the number of people who are actually at a real risk is absolutely minuscule.  That doesn’t mean nobody ever gets ill, but it is a tiny risk which can be managed by the tiny number of people it impacts by choosing where and when they swim.

Finally, everything that can be done is currently being done to remove the tiny, tiny risk.

What about all the kids that are on the pontoon all day every day in summer in Laxey. Does no one think about the children!

24 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What about all the kids that are on the pontoon all day every day in summer in Laxey. Does no one think about the children!

Once upon a time that was me.  I have no recollection of ever getting sick from it. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I wasn't disputing that. I was disputing crazy Dave saying no one went in the sea at Laxey.

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Back in the early 90s I was seeing a lady that was into water sports.

One summer day on a trip to Laxey we got in a small inflatable dingy and paddled toward the empty pontoon at which point, when we were out of sight of everyone on the beach she showered me and I returned the favour.

We did not get ill.

Snowflakes these days......... 🙂

• Haha 1