Smart Meters

GD4XXX

You have to admire the way these have been rolled-out. Firstly they tried to make out like it was a great idea for everyone to buy their own smart meter so they could monitor their energy usage and save money accordingly. Then, once all those suckers had paid out good money and been converted, the rest of us had them foisted on us whether we wanted them or not (which was the plan all along). So the electric companies got as many gullible idiots to pay for their own meters as possible before forcing everyone else to have them. Quite a clever strategy, I thought.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

You have to admire the way these have been rolled-out. Firstly they tried to make out like it was a great idea for everyone to buy their own smart meter so they could monitor their energy usage and save money accordingly. Then, once all those suckers had paid out good money and been converted, the rest of us had them foisted on us whether we wanted them or not (which was the plan all along). So the electric companies got as many gullible idiots to pay for their own meters as possible before forcing everyone else to have them. Quite a clever strategy, I thought.

Who paid for a smart meter on the island?  I didn’t know this was a thing.

PS.  The reason they are being introduced is a lack of spare and replacements for the old ones as nobody makes them anymore.

• Like 1

I don’t want one but cannot see any option as we will get hassle and disproportion charges made until we succumb and I have not got the energy for any argy bargy.   Every day there are more horror stories regarding them in the press, they only tell you what any intelligent person already knows.   

10 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

So the electric companies got as many gullible idiots to pay for their own meters as possible before forcing everyone else to have them

No idea where you live, but here on the IOM we just have the one electricity company.

Our smart meter seems great. But they should bring in variable, demand based pricing IMO.

It's weird how smart meters now seem to be part of the stupid culture war.

Just now, Fred the shred said:

I don’t want one but cannot see any option as we will get hassle and disproportion charges made until we succumb and I have not got the energy for any argy bargy.   Every day there are more horror stories regarding them in the press, they only tell you what any intelligent person already knows.   

The only negatives I have seen locally have been people saying their bills have gone up since they get one.  When questioned, these same people appear not to have been aware that the price of electricity has gone up.

Any links to any local “horror stories” that can’t be debunked in less than a minute?

• Like 1

There are 48,000 meters on the Isle of Man. The ones being fitted are smart only that they will communicate with a remote unit that will show your usage.

The  other smarty part where it sends readings to Manx Utilities is not fitted yet. The meter reader will be calling for a few years yet.

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

There are 48,000 meters on the Isle of Man. The ones being fitted are smart only that they will communicate with a remote unit that will show your usage.

The  other smarty part where it sends readings to Manx Utilities is not fitted yet. The meter reader will be calling for a few years yet.

Where did you get this info from?  Its the exact opposite of reality.

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

PS.  The reason they are being introduced is a lack of spare and replacements for the old ones as nobody makes them anymore.

bullshit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

ha ha. Where do you get your mis information. 

• Thanks 1

If you were a snidey utility provider that wanted to extract more money from your customers, why would you want to do it via a costly replacement of meters when you could simply increase tariffs?

18 minutes ago, loaf said:

If you were a snidey utility provider that wanted to extract more money from your customers, why would you want to do it via a costly replacement of meters when you could simply increase tariffs?

They're doing both!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, loaf said:

So as to use variable tariffs, so they can hike the price when and where they see fit. To increase your standing charge when you do not seem to be using enough electricity, and as for that bullshit that it put's you in charge of your usage. We already use as little as possible, nothing left on standby, if it ain't on unplug it, walk around with a carbide potholing lamp when I get up for a piss and they just want more and more money. Simple look online tells you the non smart meters  are still available and as said before meters last for decades so the spares speel is a total load of crap. Coffee time 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So as to use variable tariffs, so they can hike the price when and where they see fit. To increase your standing charge when you do not seem to be using enough electricity, and as for that bullshit that it put's you in charge of your usage. We already use as little as possible, nothing left on standby, if it ain't on unplug it, walk around with a carbide potholing lamp when I get up for a piss and they just want more and more money. Simple look online tells you the non smart meters  are still available and as said before meters last for decades so the spares speel is a total load of crap. Coffee time 

Luxury!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Err. They cannot alter any charges without consent from the government. Smart meters or no smart meters? Totally irrelevant and not connected to charge rates in any way.

Potentially yes. They could develop devious tariffs given more info. But whether they will, or even are, in pure conspiracy theory. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WTF said:

bullshit.

So you think they are telling porkies?

The meters that we have previously supplied have not been manufactured for several years and it is becoming increasingly difficult and costly to maintain these”

Why would it be easy to maintain something and add them to new build houses when the suppliers have stopped making them?  Obviously it makes sense to move everyone to the same system.