CARING IOM GOVERNMENT (sic)

Sentience

27 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is she still smoking?

Judgemental , so what if she is , free will and all that. There are many things we should and should not do to ‘save the NHS’. I always thought it was their job to save us. I have not seen a doctor for over 10 years and I’m pushing 70. I think that’s why I’m still alive. Avoid doctors , they just are bad news. All those stupid tests and all. We all die and doctors can’t prevent that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

so what if she is

Two obvious things spring to mind. Firstly, stopping will help symptoms. Secondly, stopping will free up funds to pay for the meds. Not judgemental at all, just rational. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Two obvious things spring to mind. Firstly, stopping will help symptoms. Secondly, stopping will free up funds to pay for the meds. Not judgemental at all, just rational. 

Some people like smoking so why stop that pleasure , I don’t doubt stopping would help but that is the choice of the individual. Free up funds? You are having a laugh , so much is wasted anyway on so many things it’s a bit like stopping the tide coming in. Or we could go back to Victorian times. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don’t smoke but you seem more in the know. I’m not on any meds but I understand if I was I’d get them gratis as I’m a pensioner. My point is people should be allowed to do as they please as long as no horses are scared. Live and let live - not medics it would seem. The ‘not judgmental ‘ stance it seems to me is not one you have. Although based on what you no doubt see I don’t blame you. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

Nah, she's a proper minger. 

Boysoboys I'll hazard a guess and say I'll bet absolutely anyone associated with you feels real lucky to know you.

And no she stopped smoking at the diagnosis.

Edited by Sentience
Clarification.

11 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Sorry, but I think Bakkers point deserves a proper response.

We spend a lot of money each month on prescription meds in this house because we don’t meet the criteria for free prescriptions.  I don’t like it, and I moan about it occasionally but it is what it is and we budget for it.

Plus, if I am Being brutally honest, they aren’t self inflicted conditions.

It must be horrible to deal with and you have my sympathy, but presumably you have been deemed able to afford it where some others can’t, and should that change in the future you can be re assessed?

It's £54 for a prepayment certificate for 12 months . Anyone can apply for one. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

On what basis was the exemption originally granted? Long-term condition?

I recently had mine renewed, so am intrigued as to why your wife's has been declined?

The list of conditions which automatically qualify for free medication is a bit arbitrary - for example diabetes is included but not something like COPD also requiring ongoing treatment.  The English list is very similar and I suspect as usual they just copied that and whatever historical biases and special pleadings that were there.  I'm a bit surprised that Mrs S got a certificate in the first place as the only more general condition is "A continuing physical disability which prevents the patient from leaving his residence without the help of another person", which mercifully doesn't apply here.

The obvious route to go down is getting a prepayment certificate which, as my first link says:

Pre-paid certificates cost £54 for 12 months, or £19 for four months – and any Isle of Man Residents, over 16 (19 if a full time student) can apply.

This one off payment allows you unlimited prescription items while your certificate is valid.  To get a certificate you just need to complete the application form, and return it by email to fps@gov.im or by post to Manx Care, Primary Care Services, Crookall House, Demesne Road, Douglas, IM1 3QA.  

The cost of the yearly certificate is equivalent to 14 items, for those with complex health needs or repeat prescriptions this may provide good value for money.

The prepayment form is in a pdf here.  Naturally you can't fill it in online, you'll have to download it, print it and send it with a cheque or without and they will ring you up to take your credit card details.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, wrighty said:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I've yet to meet an entirely rational human and I think that's probably for the best.

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 11:56 AM, Roger Mexico said:

The list of conditions which automatically qualify for free medication is a bit arbitrary - for example diabetes is included but not something like COPD also requiring ongoing treatment.  The English list is very similar and I suspect as usual they just copied that and whatever historical biases and special pleadings that were there.  I'm a bit surprised that Mrs S got a certificate in the first place as the only more general condition is "A continuing physical disability which prevents the patient from leaving his residence without the help of another person", which mercifully doesn't apply here.

The obvious route to go down is getting a prepayment certificate which, as my first link says:

Pre-paid certificates cost £54 for 12 months, or £19 for four months – and any Isle of Man Residents, over 16 (19 if a full time student) can apply.

This one off payment allows you unlimited prescription items while your certificate is valid.  To get a certificate you just need to complete the application form, and return it by email to fps@gov.im or by post to Manx Care, Primary Care Services, Crookall House, Demesne Road, Douglas, IM1 3QA.  

The cost of the yearly certificate is equivalent to 14 items, for those with complex health needs or repeat prescriptions this may provide good value for money.

The prepayment form is in a pdf here.  Naturally you can't fill it in online, you'll have to download it, print it and send it with a cheque or without and they will ring you up to take your credit card details.

RM you're a gent, thanks for that info, very helpful.

The missive the lady from hoopers gang sent gave NO explanation as to why my wife was deemed no longer exempt from paying for her COVID meds. As I said, although she 'quit the fags' when she was diagnosed with this lung disease, the only changes in the last 5 years is it has worsened (as predicted).

Very frightening from a husbands perspective when you are woken up late at night by someone gasping to take the next breath AND not being able to give any real practical help.

Is this a case of our caring government saying "too bad, we know we've wasted millions of your money on ill planned and executed projects, but along with our unbelievable salaries/pension, these mistakes YOU have to pay for. This all has to happen BEFORE we treat your wife to any help at all"! 

Seriously, what else could make our 'caring' iomg cs/ps /hooper so UNcaring and mean?

Oh, and as for our amateur comedian la colombe, these kind of oh so clever remarks are attributed to 'Small willy syndrome' and therefore deep lack of self confidence.

Pity and understanding is what's needed for the poor chap. 

Edited by Sentience
Clarification.
  • Like 2