Ballamodha Straight Accident

Cholmondley-Warner

I just heard William Fargher on Manx Radio at lunch time talking about the horrendous accident on Ballamodha Straight last year that resulted in serious injury to his two brothers and of course the death of two women which resulted in the recent court case.

William Fargher was very articulate and fair minded (under the circumstances) as he described the injuries to his brothers, their ongoing therapy in their attempt to regain health and normality in their lives and what they and their family have been through since the accident. The story is heart rending and my sympathy goes out to them all, the strength of their family bond has helped them through the darkest days of their lives and I wish them all well for the future.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad topic.

Why is it a bad topic? It is totally honest and true statement which has been aired on Manx Radio.

No point in burying ones head in the sand over this issue.

I do hope these two injured lads get better with time!

Last 10

Elaine Gawne was our next door neighbour, we never met her daughter Jane, who died with her. Elaine used to speak about her daughter, and grandchildren frequently. She was very proud of them all. We moved there in 2002, so I only had the pleasure of knowing her for 1yr. Elaine was 83 yrs young, she used to mow her lawn on a Sunday morning with a push mower.

She had an interest in everything around her, and certainly was not your average 83yr old. She was a friendly and lively person.

The case took 2.5 yrs to get to court, in my opinion this is far too long. This length of time was not fair on the families involved.

The person who was found guilty of killing them through death by dangerous driving did not even have the guts to own up to his crimes. He pleaded not guilty, although the evidence was stacked against him. I hope his sentence reflects this fact.

Robbie

My worry is that it'll end up as another rallying (no pun intended) call for the speed limit lobby.

Whilst my heart goes out to all those affected, please don't think that it was speed that caused this horrific accident.

It was an idiot with no licence or insurance driving like an out of control moron who caused all this - the fact that he was also going too fast was less to do with what caused the crash than his decision to load the car with friends and family in the full knowledge that he was breaking a number of laws before he even turned the key.

IMHO we should get tougher on vehicle licencing - as they have in the UK - so that this kind of incident is less likely to happen.

I cannot seriously believe that Grumble thinks speed was not the primary cause of this horrific accident. You can get as tough as you like on licensing laws and still not stop people driving at dangerous speeds whether they have a licence or not !. I am afraid that until someone comes up with an idea to calm those who do not see the danger of innapropriate speed, then enforcement unfortunately for all is the only way forward.

I cannot seriously believe that Grumble thinks speed was not the primary cause of this horrific accident. You can get as tough as you like on licensing laws and still not stop people driving at dangerous speeds whether they have a licence or not !. I am afraid that until someone comes up with an idea to calm those who do not see the danger of innapropriate speed, then enforcement unfortunately for all is the only way forward.

A speed limit on the Ballamodha at the time of the accident would have made no difference - he should never have been behind the wheel - he wasn't trained or qualified to drive! If his defence excuse is to be believed "I didn't realise my provisional licence had run out", he would know that HE was limited to 50mph anyway! It's people like him with a flagrant disregard for rules and the law who cause these kinds of accident - speed is a SECONDARY feature. There are plenty of good drivers on the Island who shouldn't be penalised by the inept or made to conform to arbitrarily low speed limits like mindless sheep.

And 50mph would probably have been just as fatal - any accident at much more than 30mph usually is. As someone cleverer than me posted in the most recent speed limit debate, two vehicles crashing head on at 30mph still has an impact of 60mph into a brick wall.

True, but not all crashes are head on.

Anyway, here's a video of a Smart crashing into a concrete wall at 70mph

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6605730767077503480

Survivable?

What if it was into another vehicle coming the other way at 70mph?

quite surprised at the result of that, i'd have thought the whole car would have fell apart.

as you say though it would be a different story if it was a head on with another car.

I totally agree there should be some sort of speed limit on the ballamodha straight. I drove down there last week. I was doing about 60 mph and the amount of people that overtook me who must have been doing about 80 mh was frightening. it wasnt as if it was just me they were overtaking i was in a line of 3 cars.

The amont of accidents on that road you would think people would learn??

Archived