[BBC News] TT victims 'in restricted area'

Newsbot

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the TT lasted another 100 years, the chances of that happening again are so remote. It was a complete freak accident!

i would have to agree on that,

while the loss of life was unfortunate for the familys involed

it is a fact of life in motor sport, it happins. but thankfully not vary oftern,

If the TT lasted another 100 years, the chances of that happening again are so remote. It was a complete freak accident!

it is a fact of life in motor sport, it happins. but thankfully not vary oftern,

Any accident in motorsport is by definition not intentional whether freak or not. If the individuals were in a restricted area, i.e. in an area they should not have been, then the consequences of the accident were avaoidable. Either a party is at fault for ignoring the signs or not enforcing them or a party is at fault for not making it clear where the restricted area is. If the signage was missing due to it having been taken by some as souveniers or because some spectators previoulsy wanted to stand there and did not believe the area should have been restricted then I hope those individuals have a conscious. However ultimately I presume the organisors have or should have plans to deal with such situations and is probably part of or should be part of the pre race checks.

This is a three day inquest which might go on a bit longer and although I have commented on the matter all be it with lots of ifs and I presumes it might be better if we all wait until all the evidence is heard at the inquest before making any presumptions.

Sorry but No, No No! Loss of life may be a fact of life in Motor Sport and the TT and we can and have frequently argued if it is acceptable but whilst I accept that applies to the participants it should not in my opinion apply to spectators.

I wasn't aware that was a restricted area?

The way I understood it was if you spectate any motorsport event the outside of any corner is always a restricted area, as that is the area that a car/bike will end up if its out of control, to be honest i did not think they used that lay-by TT week for that reason.

any area marked red would be a dangerous place to spectate this pic was copied from a rally website but same rules apply in all special stage events.

post-1039-1205395947_thumb.jpg

I wasn't aware that was a restricted area?

i posted months ago it was a restricted area only to have it removed by moderators. it is now looking like the rope incident at QB, it's no ones fault, there were no signs, not my job mister. in other words pass the buck around till it gets dizzy and pisses off. i do agree it was a very unlikely accident/incident though. now we will probably get the families looking for compensation as 'no one' told their relatives not to be there. it was the marshals job/duty to keep an area ( if they knew it to be restricted ) empty of people. i reckon that the higher up marshals knew it was a restricted area, hence the 'retirements'??. i wonder if the marshals there were 'aware' before the crash and did nowt, or found out immediately after?? also i wonder if the signs were there, but vanished straight after the bus left with the shocked witnesses minus cameras?? it is just another stink in the history of the TT that the wind will blow away and all will be allowed to carry on regardless with the necessary expensive arse protectors passed out to officials whose fault it wouldn't be anyway, cos it never is!!

Do you recall the incident at Brandish in the 1990's? Several spectators hit and injured by a motorcycle that went into the crowd and a miracle a young girl survived a serious head injury. They clearly didn't think it would happen in a hundred years either!

Freak accident? If you have very high performance motorcycles racing flat out around poorly designed country lanes within feet of the spectators then people are going to get killed on a regular basis. This is borne out year after year. There is nothing freaky about it, other than trying to label it as freak. It's a no brainer. I think attempts will be made for this one to be swept under the carpet but it will transpire to be the one that finally killed off this foolish meeting.

Do you recall the incident at Brandish in the 1990's? Several spectators hit and injured by a motorcycle that went into the crowd and a miracle a young girl survived a serious head injury. They clearly didn't think it would happen in a hundred years either!

I do remember it, and would have said that the Brandish one was more predictable. This in view of the type of corner, approach and how the accident unfolded. I can imagine that the spectators and marshals would have thought they would have been perfectly safe on the Ramsey side of the layby.

i posted months ago it was a restricted area only to have it removed by moderators. it is now looking like the rope incident at QB, it's no ones fault, there were no signs, not my job mister. in other words pass the buck around till it gets dizzy and pisses off. i do agree it was a very unlikely accident/incident though. now we will probably get the families looking for compensation as 'no one' told their relatives not to be there. it was the marshals job/duty to keep an area ( if they knew it to be restricted ) empty of people. i reckon that the higher up marshals knew it was a restricted area, hence the 'retirements'??. i wonder if the marshals there were 'aware' before the crash and did nowt, or found out immediately after?? also i wonder if the signs were there, but vanished straight after the bus left with the shocked witnesses minus cameras?? it is just another stink in the history of the TT that the wind will blow away and all will be allowed to carry on regardless with the necessary expensive arse protectors passed out to officials whose fault it wouldn't be anyway, cos it never is!!

Many of thise questions I believe I could provide a reasonably accurate response to but as I said in my earlier post I will wait until all the evidence has been released in the hearing.

We know the man slaughter charges have been droped though and probably no individual person will be found responsible. I can understand if the families want to but I have little interest in being able to point the figure. My main hope though is that we learn from the accident and that some involved take their responsibilities a lot more serioulsy and dilligently. This is not to malign all involved but their are a number from the top down who give the impression that their involvment is a nice little hobby and a good way to get close to the action. Watching the racing is primary in their thoughts.

The only good thing that can hopefully come out of this is that there is a root and branch review of safety, procedures etc and far from this being a "freak" accident it is an accident that can not happen again. If the correct procedures are put in place there should be no circumstances in which spectators can find themselves in a restricted area unknowingly and if they are there knowingly the appropriate action should be taken to protect their safety e.g. by yellow flags to slow the bikes, until they have been removed.

Freak accident? If you have very high performance motorcycles racing flat out around poorly designed country lanes within feet of the spectators then people are going to get killed on a regular basis. This is borne out year after year. There is nothing freaky about it, other than trying to label it as freak. It's a no brainer. I think attempts will be made for this one to be swept under the carpet but it will transpire to be the one that finally killed off this foolish meeting.

I fear that you may be right unfortunately. The way things are going we shall have to find illegal outlets for our need for danger and excitement!

Archived