School Teachers... Your Memories...

Last Ten

It always amazes me how some teachers still recognise you after all these years, they have such good memories. Even a couple of my primary school teachers still say hello to me and remember my name, it's been 25+ years since they taught me! Have you noticed that some teachers never seem to age either?

Gareth Jones was another good teacher, he was a strict but fair man.

I got in awful trouble for basing my entire GCSE coursework on depictions of Satan and his cohorts with the charming (and deeply religious) Miss Christian.

Also, agreeing with the general opinion of Vaulkins, puss filled windbag that he was.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear of the death on Robbie Teare in this thread. I always liked him, even if he did punch me for arsing around in a rugby practice.

(Ballakermeen 86-91 btw)

I managed to get kicked off the 'Craft, Design, and Technology' GCSE course thanks to being caught spending an entire year doing nothing more substantial than sanding the same piece of wood down in every single lesson.

As it is, it turned out for the best. Those of us who got kicked off got our own special little room to sit in and relax unsupervised during CDT lessons, and, since I never harboured any dreams of being a mediocre carpenter or an expert in the uses of gigantic simplified circuit boards, the downside of having one less GCSE never made itself felt.

Edited by VinnieK

Did anyone join the photography club at St Ninians?

I did, the darkroom had a lockable door and an extractor far. It was a far better place to smoke at lunchtime, especially in the winter. All the others would be trying to have a crafty fag in the cold yard and we'd be nice and warm, comfy and safe in the locked darkroom :D

• Like 1

Did you think most of the teachers were as old as the hills, yet 30 or 40 years later they are still about ?, maybe some of them are even reading this thread :lol:

Having only spent one year at school n Douglas (Murray's Road), I had a different lot where I went, most of which were pretty good but you do remember certain things about them, like the one who used to throw the balckboard duster or chalk at kids who were talking or messing about (youngsters used to electronic white boards won't know what a duster is, or how hard it is !).

I also recall *snip*

I don't think it's entirely fair to say something like that on an internet forum regardless if there is any truth in it or not.

I know exactly who you mean (as am sure do many others) and a comment like that read by the wrong person could cost this guy his career.

Maybe best not to quote it then?

Mrs Hooker was fantastic. I loved her. She just wasn't that authoritative in front of a class. Remember all the rumours about her husband being killed by a snake? The class would hiss as one to get her to cry behind the blackboard.

Even then, I was outraged because I always enjoyed her classes so much.

The RE teacher, Dotty Duggan, and her equally mad brother were also vehemently anti-gay. They wrote lots of letters to the papers around the decriminalisation debate. Mr McKay, the other RE teacher at Ballakermeen (sing "Ballakermeen, the greatest school in the land, ain't it grand . . . " to the tune of Mull of Kintyre) also banged on about the horrors of communism at every possible opportunity.

Dave Cole (history teacher at SNHS) probably influenced my life more than anyone else (apart from family members). A magnificent teacher.

Remember Mr Wilson at Ballakermeen? I still say "Against the wall or not at all" every now and again in homage to his dinner line duty catchphrase.

Paul Corrin, PE, another good guy.

Hmmm...wasnt he of dubious character!

There was also a really fit female PE teacher who I think also taught maths...kept my interest thats for sure.

As for the banana tree...LOL how the memories and tears come flooding back.

There was also the English teacher who glammed herself right up even though she was about 60!

Weird to think that I might have been in classes with some of you lot....the names certainly bring a load of memories back thats for sure.

PS - dont forget the swimming pool with the slimy floor and the razor sharp tiles on the floor, presumably so you didnt cheat when treading water!!

I think he may have been.

I think the female PE teacher was called Miss Titwell but then she married and I don't know what her new name was.

I was at Ballakermeen 83-88.

Benny Ball and his size 12 dunlop trainer met my arse on one occassion and it hurt like hell.

Robbie Teare was my form tutor and we used to get other teachers coming in to tell us to shut up but the best one was when he hit a mate over the head with a cricket ball. He had a big egg for a week. Hope he isn't dead.

Ernie Entwistle was a laugh, so was Dotty Duggan. Miss Roocroft used to fancy my best mate and tell me off when it was him being bad.

Forgot his name but a music teacher once quoted to someone ethnic in our class "Hurry up Sambo"

The whole class just shut up and didnt laugh. Poor lad was heartbroken but I dont think he complained.

We had 2 Miss Christians, one an art teacher and very scarey and one who taught french who was very placid IIRC.

Best days of your life ;)

post-1115-1125430152_thumb.jpg

Hope this comes out. Balla teachers from just before my time {1964}

A few decent ones but many more were tw@s.

Don't know many of the teachers but here are the ones I possibly recognise (I think!! :rolleyes:)

Top row 3rd from left - Brian Hardinge

Middle row 3rd from Left - Sid Tyrer, 5th from left Putty Kelly, 7th from left Brian King, 8th from left Gareth Jones? (possibly)

Can anyone else add some names to this piccie?

Last Ten

f the teachers but here are the ones I possibly recognise (I think!! :rolleyes:)

Middle row 3rd from Left - Sid Tyrer, 5th from left Putty Kelly, 7th from left Brian King, 8th from left Gareth Jones? (possibly)

Is that the same Brian King who is (or was) Principal of Park Road School?

f the teachers but here are the ones I possibly recognise (I think!! :rolleyes:)

Is that the same Brian King who is (or was) Principal of Park Road School?

That's the boy