Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

As for how much of the BBC money should be given to the IoM for local services should not be based on the whole UK figure but what they put into the Chsnnel Islands, which must be much much more as it's paying for the two local stations and a TV service.

evidence?

This is a good point. Following the same kind of calculations I've tried to apply to the IOM, the actual cost of running BBC Radio Jersey and BBC Radio Guernsey is actually higher. It should be mentioned that the BBC do provide a television service on the IOM, with local news being part of BBC North West (though the quality can be discussed in other threads).

Edited by Gagster

As for how much of the BBC money should be given to the IoM for local services should not be based on the whole UK figure but what they put into the Chsnnel Islands, which must be much much more as it's paying for the two local stations and a TV service.

evidence?

This is a good point. Following the same kind of calculations I've tried to apply to the IOM, the actual cost of running BBC Radio Jersey and BBC Radio Guernsey is actually higher. It should be mentioned that the BBC do provide a television service on the IOM, with local news being part of BBC North West (though the quality can be discussed in other threads).

and the cash the bbc gives to the iom......

MR worth every penny for the screw ups alone...which seem to happen pretty much on a daily basis. Long unintended silences, wrong news clips played during news items...and within the last few minutes..hearing one of the presenters trying to make a phonecall right in the middle of a song playing. Who is responsible for the producing etc of the programs ?

And once again...Brindley....maybe just me but I can listen to the likes of Christy D etc and the womens hour and not find it too dated or irritating at all....but the minute he comes on...its like a terrible 80s sitcom...without any jokes.

• Like 5

MR worth every penny for the screw ups alone...which seem to happen pretty much on a daily basis. Long unintended silences, wrong news clips played during news items...and within the last few minutes..hearing one of the presenters trying to make a phonecall right in the middle of a song playing. Who is responsible for the producing etc of the programs ?

And once again...Brindley....maybe just me but I can listen to the likes of Christy D etc and the womens hour and not find it too dated or irritating at all....but the minute he comes on...its like a terrible 80s sitcom...without any jokes.

That was my fault (the phonecall thing). I hadn't closed a fader. Bite me.

• Like 4

The BBC opening up in Scotland is simply a land grab before the inevitable referendum and the Scots leaving the UK. They need to keep those juicy licence fees rolling in from north of the border.

They could not care less about the Isle of Man. Which is why they ignore all the begging letters from the government. Take it, or leave it.

utter rubbish

if you bothered to check, manx radio already receives funding from the bbc...

Ok, so I have lost track on that. What do they receive?

I remember a rebate in relation to some Digital stuff - but that was a one off wasn't it? And there's some Manx language shows that are produced in assocation with the BBC (1 or 2 hours per week I think), are they still being produced?

Who is responsible for the programmes... I think you'll find that Mr Brindley was promoted to Head Of Programmes late last year!

Edited by Gagster

You've got to a bit feel sorry for Brindley. He has Marc Tylers job, but not the same big pay check...yet. He's taken over the old agreements with the weekday DJ's which see them guaranteed their jobs, and pay, for years to come - they came off the staff gravy train contracts.

I understand the breakfast show Mr "Smashie" DJ and him do not get on and hardly speak, but he has no power the axe him....and Mr Tyler still carries on coming in to do the Greatest Hits show in the time sector that did have real Manx content a few years ago.

Look at the programme schedules for the last 5 years and you will notice very little has changed except the Little Women show which was forced on them to do more for their PBS £1,000,000 cheque.

• Like 1

Who is responsible for the programmes... I think you'll find that Mr Brindley was promoted to Head Of Programmes late last year!

and rightly so too.