Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Pongo will be along in a minute to ask why everyone doesn't just stream music.

I feel bad for people forced to listen to the constant jibber jabber of chatty radio  and canned pop music in the workplace.

It's bad enough in public spaces - fidgety noise spamming up the calm. It's difficult to block out. Day after day, the same thing.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, pongo said:

I feel bad for people forced to listen to the constant jibber jabber of chatty radio  and canned pop music in the workplace.

It's bad enough in public spaces - fidgety noise spamming up the calm. It's difficult to block out. Day after day, the same thing.

Yes. I'm working right now in my office at home with the windows open. My current listening choice?  A song thrush sitting in a tree down the garden is serenading me with the most beautiful repertoire of chirps and whistles. Makes one feel good to be alive. Manx Radio never does that, not even Stu.  

• Like 5

They say that listening to music whilst working can be focusing for the mind. But listening to unwanted music can be stressful.

I really hated working in an office that played 3fm when they only seemed to have 20 records.

They have Radio 2 on, at least they did before, lock down, which is OK. But at least I can wear ear plugs or ear phones whenever a Queen or Whitney song comes on.

Edited by Declan

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Yes. I'm working right now in my office at home with the windows open. My current listening choice?  A song thrush sitting in a tree down the garden is serenading me with the most beautiful repertoire of chirps and whistles. Makes one feel good to be alive. Manx Radio never does that, not even Stu.  

How right you are Woolley. Manx Radio never, ever, does that. That moment when you stop what you're doing to listen to a great piece of music. That's one of the marks of good radio. Manx Radio is not about playing good music, in any genre. It's the same old playlist on shuffle, day after day, in between golly-gosh patter and fossilised adverts. As you posted earlier; you never hear it on in shops and businesses or public places. Everyone seems to agree that it's shite, but we keep paying for it just for the advertising revenue it generates.

20 minutes ago, Declan said:

They say that listening to music whilst working can be focusing for the mind. But listening to unwanted music can be stressful.

I really hated working in an office that played 3fm when they only seemed to have 20 records.

They have Radio 2 on, at least they did before, lock down, which is OK. But at least I can wear ear plugs or ear phones whenever a Queen or Whitney song comes on.

20, do they have that many?

38 minutes ago, Declan said:

You must be one of only about four people worldwide what don't like Queen.

• Like 1

So now I know something about everyone in the world: that we don't like queen, and everyone else does. 

In some small way, this must be what being God* feels like.

*God isn't fond of Queen either.  Hates everything but Bicycle Race.

36 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

So now I know something about everyone in the world: that we don't like queen, and everyone else does. 

In some small way, this must be what being God* feels like.

*God isn't fond of Queen either.  Hates everything but Bicycle Race.

He likes Fat Bottomed Girls, evidently. He certainly made enough of them.

• Haha 1