White City

manxmaid

I remember the gypsy when she had a tent on the appraoch to the fair. I was much too scared to go in although I was facinated by her. I was only about eight at the time and I used to hover around the tent.One day I tripped over the guy rope thingie and fell straight into the tent. She told me I would have three husbands. However as she didn't say who's husbands they would be I can't say wether or not that was an accurate forecast. ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been scratching my head to remember Mr Myer's nickname. It was 'boyer' - think that is how it was spelt. Although I only got £6 per week - he did take me to Alexanders the Tailors at the end of the season and bought me a made to measure suit. A good bonus indeed!

Also if I remember rightly there was an outside stall with moving heads with open mouths in which you placed ping pong balls to get prizes.

Now and again a photographer would take pictures for those goingup to Onchan Head.

The inside stalls were absolutely filthy dirty with smoke dust every morning and so the first duty was to wash and dust each stall - glass, shelves, mirrors, prizes each day.

I think Myers used to live on the east corner of Albany Road x Selborne Drive, then built the bungalow on the south end of the White City plot, just at the junction.

I remember White City was one of the stops on sunday-school outings on a 'charra' - maybe Mooragh Park, White City then down onto the prom for a hot dog and then home

• 2 weeks later...

i worked there in the final summer not sure if it was 84??. on the bouncy dome, taking tokens, what a sh1t hole that was, the place was really let go.

I think Myers used to live on the east corner of Albany Road x Selborne Drive, then built the bungalow on the south end of the White City plot, just at the junction.

Did he die tragically? Maybe I've got the wrong person. Was he married to Shirley?

I remember White City was one of the stops on sunday-school outings on a 'charra' - maybe Mooragh Park, White City then down onto the prom for a hot dog and then home

I lived down the hill from them and used to play with the kids - they had a nanny which was very strange indeed for us oicks!

Thanks for all your replies...... I don't remember the tunnel of love.... was there a gypsy/fortune telling type kiosk thingy?

Also A carousel?

Does anyone have or know of anywhere online that has any pics of White City?

Can anyone remember the stalls on the outside at the rear and the stalls that were on the side overlooking the bay? And what was actually inside?

Yes I do vaguely remember it being quite grotty and tacky....... but that was normal for the time.

There were quite a few outside stalls. One had a horse race where the winner won a tin tea pot or something similar. Rifle shooting was both inside and outside.

There was a gypsy on the road leading up to the fairground. They used to live in a small hut on the site.

Inside there were one penny machines - all very old and always needing attention plus the Housey-Housey stalls in the centre - the main attraction.

All the time there were records playing - Cliff Richard -Batchelor Boy, Elvis.

Joseph Karma and his wife Elizabeth started at White City in the Theatre - in the 1950's.

I earned £6 per week for six days - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday off. Takings on each stall if I remember right was something like £20 daily. (early 60's).

The place was owned by the Myers family. Mr Myers - the boss -looked like the rag and bone man! People were very surprised when they found he was the owner. His wife and David his son assisted him. He had another son Russell. Mrs Myers in the 70's ran a dress shop at the Palace shops during the summer. He eventually sold the place to his brother I think as money problems were occurring. It didn't keep up with the times.

One pound a day would have been pretty good money wouldn't it ?

I left the island in May 1969 and was on the humungus ammount of 9 pound plus a few shillings for a 48 hour week as a tradesman. I came to Australia and immediately went on $53 per 40 hr week ! never had so much money before

• 3 years later...

I worked at White City from 1969 to 1972 and had lodgings at 5 edward road,onchan. I worked on the canoes, the ghost train and the trampolines. I remember watching all the boats sailing in from Ireland on Orange Day and there used to be special buses bringing the trippers to White City. I worked there with two friends who like me came from the wirral and I still see them in our local pub in hoylake, wirral. Nigel used to do the darts stall and Alan used to work on the roller coaster. would love to hear from anyone who used to work there. whatwever happened to Louis (he used to drive the transit van to and from the rendezvous cafe in douglas picking up the workers. Pete Myers was the boss and mad Ivy on the winchester rifle stalls and irish Sammy on the dodgems. Great days.... I used to work at Clucas Laundry in the winter time.

I am bringing the liverpool band CHINA CRISIS over to the Island for a gig at Fiesta Havana on June 17th and it would be great to meet up with old pals

chhers, roy

I worked at White City from 1969 to 1972 and had lodgings at 5 edward road,onchan. I worked on the canoes, the ghost train and the trampolines. I remember watching all the boats sailing in from Ireland on Orange Day and there used to be special buses bringing the trippers to White City. I worked there with two friends who like me came from the wirral and I still see them in our local pub in hoylake, wirral. Nigel used to do the darts stall and Alan used to work on the roller coaster. would love to hear from anyone who used to work there. whatwever happened to Louis (he used to drive the transit van to and from the rendezvous cafe in douglas picking up the workers. Pete Myers was the boss and mad Ivy on the winchester rifle stalls and irish Sammy on the dodgems. Great days.... I used to work at Clucas Laundry in the winter time.

I am bringing the liverpool band CHINA CRISIS over to the Island for a gig at Fiesta Havana on June 17th and it would be great to meet up with old pals

chhers, roy

I remember the big slide and the sacks you had to use being itchy and bit mangey. Remember a big hall with the attractions in. Have got some memory of the ghost train, penny push machines and those grabber games. Can remember as a little girl winning little sets of plastic dog ornaments and thinking they were fabulous! A massive treat to go to White city on the way home from the pictures or shopping.

chhers, roy

you used to drink in the eagle port erin aswell, i recognised your picture/avatar before you changed it.

Archived