Concerts/gigs

manxmaid

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Hugh, forgot all about Blackfoot Sue, great band!

I think I was probably at the same Steve Gibbons gig at the Crescent as you; those boys really made TT rock in the early 80's! Went to see them just about every night when they played in the Villiers. Brilliant! They were really here for the bikes and were kind of working their ticket by playing each evening.

Who could forget such timeless classics as 'Down in the Bunker'.

My first "gig" was when I went to see World's Apart and East 17 at the Villa Marina in 1993. It was class. World's Apart's tape got chewed up when they were dancing and miming along to it, one of them lifted my lil' sis on stage and kissed her (she almost choked on 'High Karate') and East 17 didn't even sing - they just stood there in daft outfits and we all screamed at them.

UK gig - Inspiral Carpets Sept 1990, although according to their website there was no mad cow party then, might have been earlier but Im sure it was 1990, I was 18 and had been raving the previous night at a rainbow tribe do in merseyside, it was a great weekend. Them was the days :)

Over here? hmm dunno until recently, by the time bands came here they are 'was beens'. See'd loads of local bands since 1988 onwards.

First gig - UFO at Manchester Apollo, 1980

First big outdoor event - Monsters of Rock 1984, AC/DC & Van Halen plus others

First gig on Isle of Man - Tholtan (Semi-detached) Builders in the Station Port Erin, 1997, I've not been the same since.

Last Gig - Gong Un-convention. 3 nights in the Melkweg, Amstedam with Gong, Steve Hillage, System 7, Here & Now, Mother Gong, Acid Mothers Gong, Eat Static, Tim Blake, etc, etc........weekend before last, still on cloud 9 now!!!!!!!

Next gig on Isle of Man - probably Pigs on The Wing in Centenary centre on 24th or the Tholtan Builders in Andreas Parish Hall the night after! Or both, Phew, what a weekend that one will be!

I seen the Afro Celt sound system in the Melkweg a few years back... A very good venue.

We also seen a break dancing championships there, it was really really good fun. Incredible skills!

The melkweg has got to be one of the best venues I've been to. Two reasonable sized halls (the Max holds about 1000), nice and friendly security, clean toilets, an art gallery and a quality "cafe" on site. I ate in there all three nights and was amazed at the quality of the food. No greasy overpirced burgers. Reastaurant quality food at about £7-£8 for a main course.

Would not hesitate to go back again.

My first gig - Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoias back in December 1978 for a £1.20. Their support band were called The Police.

Although a few weeks before I was in the Manchester University Union at a gig by the then unknown Dire Straits - and I saw about ten minutes because I stayed in the bar which was great fun (a bit like being in a kitchen at parties) but a missed opportunity :(

Archived