Pizza Hut On The Isle Of Man?

3v0

Is there a tax reason (apart from the obvious corporation tax issues) the big franchises set up a shop in the IoM? I mean, normally they look for a minimum population of at least 150k before they locate in an area. Do the domicile a few, say , North West England units thru the IoM? Or is it just a straight forward franchise?

I'm not sure about the tax situation, but I imagine those that are over here are so partly as a consequence of the relative isolation (as far as the consumer is concerned) of the Island.

When setting up in the UK it doesn't make much sense to put a shop in a small town because the chances are that its inhabitants will shop in the nearest big town or city anyway, so you set up there instead. The Island might be considered an exception to the rule because you have a market of 80,000 or so which don't have the same kind of access and transport links - if you don't set up on the Island, you don't have access to that market.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough I suppose. I just wondered were they using it as a cover to salt away loadza dosh in the island. There's a few big US companies have set up 'head offices' in Ireland recently so they can channel vast swathes of their turnover thur Ireland and pay no corporation tax. I wondered were these business doing similar? The conspiracy theorist breaking out of me!!

Are the franchises for Pizza Hut, McDonalds, KFC etc held by Manx people or 'come overs' or by the parent companies do you know?

Dominos, Pizza Hut; clearly the first revenue earning plan of the brand spanking new Department for Economic Development, an offshore Pizza Paradise.

!

Are the franchises for Pizza Hut, McDonalds, KFC etc held by Manx people or 'come overs' or by the parent companies do you know?

you pay a fee to become one of the above.

the fee is to use there name and go by there rules

!

you pay a fee to become one of the above.

the fee is to use there name and go by there rules

Yeah, I know but in some cases the parent company operates the business in a certain area themselves. For example the Burger King in Leicester Sq is operated by the parent company because it's a very lucrative spot. They didn't want to hand it over to a franchisee. Hence I was wondering if something similar was affoot with the Manx branches to channel funds thru?

Yeah, I know but in some cases the parent company operates the business in a certain area themselves. For example the Burger King in Leicester Sq is operated by the parent company because it's a very lucrative spot. They didn't want to hand it over to a franchisee. Hence I was wondering if something similar was affoot with the Manx branches to channel funds thru?

I believe that the Dominos franchise is being operated by a local, not sure about the others.

I love that the parent company operate the Leicester Square Burger King, it being about twenty times as crap and unbearable as a regular one, which is very crap indeed. Is the same true of the KFC nearby (the one that looks, feels and sounds like a squat in some post-apocalyptic near future vision of London)?

I think all the companies keep the big (high footfall) outlets for themselves. I know in Dublin the Grafton St and O'Connel St outlets of all the fast food joints are retained by the parent companies and likewise in London, Manchester etc. They let the minions have a much smaller peice of the pie burger!!

I would much prefer to see a dominos

never been a hut fan

you will be glad to know being built now open middle of may enjoy :rolleyes:

What a travesty, right next to the NSC, how difficult will it be for parents to deter their offspring from wanting a pizza after a swim now, McDonalds on one side and Dominoes on the other. I've no real objection to these places existing, but where they are located concerns me, it's a bit like putting an off-license right outside an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting place.....sort of :unsure:

id call that a well thought out company plan you build things near to where the ppl are, cant really fault them for that.

I agree, it's the feckin planners that allow it that I'm "cheesed off" about :lol:

Is there a tax reason (apart from the obvious corporation tax issues) the big franchises set up a shop in the IoM? I mean, normally they look for a minimum population of at least 150k before they locate in an area. Do the domicile a few, say , North West England units thru the IoM? Or is it just a straight forward franchise?

I'm not sure about the tax situation, but I imagine those that are over here are so partly as a consequence of the relative isolation (as far as the consumer is concerned) of the Island.

When setting up in the UK it doesn't make much sense to put a shop in a small town because the chances are that its inhabitants will shop in the nearest big town or city anyway, so you set up there instead. The Island might be considered an exception to the rule because you have a market of 80,000 or so which don't have the same kind of access and transport links - if you don't set up on the Island, you don't have access to that market.

i think the difference in us is that we can't go elsewhere. it isn't like we have 3 or 4 choices for a burger, it is mc d's, same with the solo chicken option. pizza's?? to your door there are a few options, but a decent sit in is another missing item. a pizza hut would again be the only option and as such likely a winner with no competition.

i think the difference in us is that we can't go elsewhere. it isn't like we have 3 or 4 choices for a burger, it is mc d's, same with the solo chicken option. pizza's?? to your door there are a few options, but a decent sit in is another missing item. a pizza hut would again be the only option and as such likely a winner with no competition.

Strange, from when I last checked many cafes and pubs serve burgers and fried chicken bits and far better quality, but I suppose if your taste is for burgers made from lips arseholes and other spare bits of the cow or factory farmed chicken full of growth hormone then you only have one choice for each.

What a travesty, right next to the NSC, how difficult will it be for parents to deter their offspring from wanting a pizza after a swim now, McDonalds on one side and Dominoes on the other. I've no real objection to

There's a cafe inside the NSC that's flogging chips n cheese all day.

What a travesty, right next to the NSC, how difficult will it be for parents to deter their offspring from wanting a pizza after a swim now, McDonalds on one side and Dominoes on the other. I've no real objection to

There's a cafe inside the NSC that's flogging chips n cheese all day.

yeah, running at a loss, and is truly one of the most uninspiring cafes I have seen, but with a bit of imagination and decent quality well made food I would hope this would be enough to make it turn a profit and be beneficial to people's, especially children's health.

Archived