Peel Music Festival

When Skies Are Grey

just wait till you see the Robin Gibb/Smokie night. They're going to have to get the people in somehow. :)

Ha ha you're right, they are offering free tickets to all the Police, Marshalls, Nurses, Firemen, etc, anyone like that involved with the TT. :lol:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What time are the gigs finishing, I'm on taxi duty for the wife and daughter tonight, dropping off is no problem but picking up could be.

All done by 10:30 ish. I think it has to be because of the proximity of the estate.

Ha ha you're right, they are offering free tickets to all the Police, Marshalls, Nurses, Firemen, etc, anyone like that involved with the TT

No doubt everyone is to blame too, except the people who booked the act.

I don't think the poor attendance is down to Manx crabs etc, rather the limited appeal of the bands booked with a few exceptions. Plus the logistics of getting to the site against closed roads and heavy Mad Sunday traffic etc. Not everyone can get time off work to get there early to beat the traffic, and unless you're a devoted fan of any of the acts, I would think this would put quite a few folks off. It might have been better over 3 days in July - perhaps after Tynwald Day, as there would be a few extra people over and access to the site wouldn't be such a problem.

To be fair many said this prior to the event although they got critisised by some for being negative and slagging off the event. I thought that it was a bit unjustified as many of the comments appeared to be helpful in that most were broadley supportive but wondered why if you are going to put such an event on you do so in a very busy TT fortnight unless you were going to tailor it specifically to the visitors, both in terms of bands, prices and attractions. Even then many bikers would still be happier staying somwhere local, having plenty of beer and watching other bikes go by.

In the end we have an event of which the a majority of those attending will be locals. If that is the case in my opinion it would have made more sense to do so outside the TT when you might have got fans of the bands visiting the Island to supprt the specific group. In addition more locals may have been free to go as presently I know many who were put off either by the thought of the potential congestion, are off the Island, are working because it is TT fortnight because, have other events on because it is TT fortnight or have difficulty getting a baby sitter because of many of those reaasons above. OK none are not summountable if you are a devoted fan of the acts but if your level of interest is not quite so here they may be the breaker between booking a ticket and not. I write as one who has not gone to any of the nights but might have well do so if it had been at any other time of the year.

I don't think the poor attendance is down to Manx crabs etc, rather the limited appeal of the bands booked with a few exceptions. Plus the logistics of getting to the site against closed roads and heavy Mad Sunday traffic etc. Not everyone can get time off work to get there early to beat the traffic, and unless you're a devoted fan of any of the acts, I would think this would put quite a few folks off. It might have been better over 3 days in July - perhaps after Tynwald Day, as there would be a few extra people over and access to the site wouldn't be such a problem.

I have to agree with Lost Login.

From a personal point of view, this is potentially the busiest time of the year for me - as it is for many local people - and the prospect of taking one of the nights off simply doesn't exist. I think it was hoped that our visitors would have shown a keen interest and bought into it, but it seems that hasn't happened to any great extent. Therefore, it would probably have been better to organise a slightly smaller event during the summer when the take-up might have been better.

That, however, is written with some benefit of hindsight and a definite sense of disappointment that I haven't been able to attend (my wife and daughter are at tonight's show).

Tickets were from £20 and parking is cheaper when booked on-line - cheaper than paying for 5-6 hours at any of the multi storey car parks in Douglas.

No, tickets were £27 - £90, with a 4 quid 'booking fee' plus a fiver parking. What use is a comparrision to a multi storey car park? Do I have to pay £40 quid to get into m&s? No, so I dont mind paying for parking!

And of course you spend nothing once inside M&S do you? Because you probably look at the price of everything and complain that it's cheaper in Moocher's or Shoprite. No doubt M&S appreciate your advice on how to run THEIR business too!

There's a distinct whiff of crab about this thread. People on here constantly moan about lack of big names and decent facilities, then when they arrive they're slagged off. I don't really fancy ANY of the PBF acts, but I raise my hat to Jonathan Irving for putting his money where his mouth is, and making the world come to Peel to see it in action.

Tickets were from £20 and parking is cheaper when booked on-line - cheaper than paying for 5-6 hours at any of the multi storey car parks in Douglas.

No, tickets were £27 - £90, with a 4 quid 'booking fee' plus a fiver parking. What use is a comparrision to a multi storey car park? Do I have to pay £40 quid to get into m&s? No, so I dont mind paying for parking!

And of course you spend nothing once inside M&S do you? Because you probably look at the price of everything and complain that it's cheaper in Moocher's or Shoprite. No doubt M&S appreciate your advice on how to run THEIR business too!

There's a distinct whiff of crab about this thread. People on here constantly moan about lack of big names and decent facilities, then when they arrive they're slagged off. I don't really fancy ANY of the PBF acts, but I raise my hat to Jonathan Irving for putting his money where his mouth is, and making the world come to Peel to see it in action.

But Deacon Blue, Paul Carrack and Steve Gibbons are NOT big names. Semi popular has-been names

Good to hear that it was a good evening. Before the crowd got on their feet, what was the estimate of 'bums on seats' 'cos that will determine the bottom line (sorry about the puns!).

I'd guess at roughly 2/3 the seating tickets were sold, the rest, mostly silver stuff empty. Bit daft that they didn't dump the empty seats and move the standing forward.

Peel Bay Festival - you lying w*nkers.

I telephoned during the day to see whether I could upgrade my standing ticket to a seated ticket to be told the seated tickets were totally sold out.

My legs were hurting like hell by the end of the evening. Wouldn't have been so bad if they had put down flooring as standing on a flat surface is not as bad as standing on a rough surface.

I certainly won't be attending any further concerts they may put on in future.

Mind you, I have heard they are over one million pounds down on the festival so I don't think they'll be doing it again. Should have put the tickets at a reasonable price and maybe they'd have sold more..........

Both bands were excellent though. Will be buying the BDS CD when it goes on sale.

For years people have been complaining that bands don't come over and when they do it's met with a wall of apathy

So we should all flock to Deacon Blue then :(

People do complain bands don't come over, but I bet not many complain that Deacon Blue haven't come over until now. All that proves is that the wrong band was booked.

Book the right acts and people will go. I'm sure Sunday will be much busier.

didn't Deacon Blue play the Villa last year?

Again, the local bands didn't go to plan...

Supposed to start at 1.30....got there at this time and was told it would be open around 3pm....about 3.10 we were let in to hear TWO, only two songs from one of the two bands that were supposed to play. The other band didn't get a chance to play. Not sure if they were given a time slot later on as we left to head back into town, disappointed with the organisation.

Fair enough a band got to play, but only two songs! And the other band didn't get to play. And what about the people who'd come especially to Peel to see these bands and start their festival experience earlier, only to have to wait around for nearly 2 hours because of poor organisation...

Aside from that, McFly were awesome! Not the biggest fan myself but they put on an amazing performance. My friend also got me their autograph! :)

A very disappointing afternoon....but an amazing evening :)

Archived