Peel Music Festival

When Skies Are Grey

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However.....

Man does that look stiff. Not exactly Spiral Tribe is it, lol... ? It's like a 1970's audience for Mr and Mrs, lol... Anyone remember the wrestling at the Villa?????

First half was bloody awful. Security pounced on you if you stood up and told you to plant your arse or leave. It's only in the second half where everyone stood did it actually feel like a rock concert. Even then, the front rows being all expensive corporate tickets sold to HSBC etc, it wasn't exactly banging.

cant imagine going to a rock concert and SITTING! (why would you want to do that?!) All the rock concerts ive been too, have the standing at the front, then seating round the sides of the arena or at the back.

Cash. They want to sell the front row for lots of wonga, and you can't do that unless it's standing.

'course I'd have made a golden circle rather than seats, but there you go.

Last night at Deacon Blue.....

Everyone stood up and danced and clapped and the security were very chilled. They only intervened when people were blocking the aisles or standing on seats. They even let all the people with standing tickets into the seated area - possibly due to the very disappointing turnout - only about 1,600 people in total - quite embarrassing that all this effort has gone in and it's not supported. For years people have been complaining that bands don't come over and when they do it's met with a wall of apathy. However it was still a good gig - even though it was quite cold. The organisation and amount of work the organisers have put into it is seriously impressive - well done to all involved - pity the Manx crabs have been so negative about it.

For years people have been complaining that bands don't come over and when they do it's met with a wall of apathy

So we should all flock to Deacon Blue then :(

People do complain bands don't come over, but I bet not many complain that Deacon Blue haven't come over until now. All that proves is that the wrong band was booked.

Book the right acts and people will go. I'm sure Sunday will be much busier.

For years people have been complaining that bands don't come over and when they do it's met with a wall of apathy.

That's utter horseshit. Who can afford 40 quid a night for a whole week? I'm booked for two nights at peel, that's more than I can afford as it is at those prices. Fiver for fucking parking!

Whats needed is, 3 day festival over the weekend, back to back bands and 1, 2 or 3 day tickets to be sold - but then the freeloaders wouldnt get their spaces. I was quite pissed off to find I was one of the rare people who had paid to get in, I saw lots of people there that I knew, none of them had had to pay, AA tickets, VIP gold tickets - all free. I am soo sick of this fucking island and its lizard elites.

I agree a smaller festival over 3 days may have been better. Bigger names and more guaranteed full houses. However - this is only the first go at it - for people who have never done this before it's a steep learning curve I guess.

2nd go at it, they did that tribute band thing on peel beach last year.

We'll be off to see Madness and the Strangliers on Sunday - should be good. :)

I'm quite stoked about the madness gig, all standing, all moshing, I'll be the one freaking out with the big embarrased space around him.

For years people have been complaining that bands don't come over and when they do it's met with a wall of apathy.

That's utter horseshit. Who can afford 40 quid a night for a whole week? I'm booked for two nights at peel, that's more than I can afford as it is at those prices. Fiver for fucking parking!

Tickets were from £20 and parking is cheaper when booked on-line - cheaper than paying for 5-6 hours at any of the multi storey car parks in Douglas.

You're never going to get a particularly big audience at a Deacon Blue concert. Most people will instinctively know that. So I don't think it's about people being crabby or nonsupporting.

A few years ago Deacon Blue sold out the Villa in a few hours and could have sold twice as many tickets at the time! Paul Carrack has always been a big draw too.

A lot of people have told me that they weren't going to any of the Peel gigs because it was too much effort and that there would be gridlock and it would be a nightmare to get there and back. From what people were saying about Wednesday night and last night that just hasn't happened.

Tickets were from £20 and parking is cheaper when booked on-line - cheaper than paying for 5-6 hours at any of the multi storey car parks in Douglas.

No, tickets were £27 - £90, with a 4 quid 'booking fee' plus a fiver parking. What use is a comparrision to a multi storey car park? Do I have to pay £40 quid to get into m&s? No, so I dont mind paying for parking!

A lot of people have told me that they weren't going to any of the Peel gigs because it was too much effort and that there would be gridlock and it would be a nightmare to get there and back. From what people were saying about Wednesday night and last night that just hasn't happened.

For me it's cost vs quality of the acts. I've gone to the ones I think are worth the dosh, beatles trib bands, one beegee and a couple of shit 80's acts aren't.

Archived